Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B9Audio microphone discussion  (Read 63945 times)

Offline b9audio

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: B9Audio microphone discussion
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/ed-eroh/flux-capacitor-abc-brewery-harrisburgpa-2-9-19-b9-hypers

here is a set from a 3 piece rock band I see on a regular basis.  these b9 hypers r really sounding nice in the small bar/clubs I go to
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
A step forward with Blumlein stereo, I tried this setup with extra center Omni channel. In this way, the stereo sound stage can be altered and even decoded to surround sound.

This is the audio file download link. Comments welcome.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v2lD3YxJmbhGMDYI1j1ZdnKtlKX6hrpn

For those wondering about this configuration, addition of the omni modifies the polar patterns of the Blumlein pair but does not change the 90 degree angle inclusive between them as follows:

No omni = 90° X/Y fig-8s (standard Blumlein)
Omni mixed into both channels at a 1:2 ratio with respect to each fig-8 = 90° X/Y super/hypercards
Omni mixed into both channels at a 1:1 ratio with respect to each fig-8 = 90° X/Y cardioids 
Omni mixed into both channels at a 2:1 ratio with respect to each fig-8 = 90° X/Y subcardioids

Further-
Inverting polarity on both figure-8's switches those X/Y patterns from forward facing to rearward facing.
Inverting polarity on one figure-8 switches those X/Y patterns to sideways facing.
Inverting polarity on the other figure-8 switches those X/Y patterns sideways facing in the opposite direction.

And just for the curious-
Inverting polarity on the omni switches those X/Y patterns from forward facing to rearward facing (just like inverting both 8's) but also inverts the polarity of the output.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
Planning on picking up the CM150Fs- already got my INV6 shockmounts :D

Just fyi, b9 says they're out of stock on them at the moment- but they do have a new version in stock. He said they are "direct cable out"- but I didn't get an answer if it's active or just a built in XLR?

I'm curious about this- it seems like if I'm putting them on a stand and connecting them to another XLR, there's no real functional difference, right? I think they're a bit smaller- so if that's a sticking point, I get it, but I'll be open taping so it seems moot. The thing that has me apprehensive is that it would potentially be an extra point of failure which provides no real benefit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:40:47 PM by love2tape »

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »

Just fyi, b9 says they're out of stock on them at the moment- but they do have a new version in stock. He said they are "direct cable out"- but I didn't get an answer if it's active or just a built in XLR?

I'm curious about this- it seems like if I'm putting them on a stand and connecting them to another XLR, there's no real functional difference, right? I think they're a bit smaller- so if that's a sticking point, I get it, but I'll be open taping so it seems moot. The thing that has me apprehensive is that it would potentially be an extra point of failure which provides no real benefit.

CMP1C is exactly the same in electronics with CMP1, only difference is to add a cable between the PCB and the XLR plug.
There're some benefit, especially in some critical situation:
1. Need extreme short microphone length, such as for mounting inside the VR Ball. Only 100mm for a microphone; including XLR plug for standard microphones. It is certainly not possible and special low profile plug is needed in such case.
2. Reduce connections, such as the case above, for standard microphones, there's 1 extra connection needed. Every additional connection increase the quality risk. (If you use thick cable, shock mount doesn't work well.)
3. Provide better vibration isolation. Low profile flexible cable transmit much less vibration energy than standard thick mic cable.
4. Added extra possibility: Stereo version, 3-channel version, and 4-channel version uses a single plug. User run simple multi pair cable from microphones to mixer/recorder/pre amplifiers, reduce cable complexity.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2019, 01:33:01 AM »
All of this looks very cool and interesting... just marking this thread to come back to.
I would be curious if anyone out there has tried the Wide Cards in NOS, I would think that might be quite nice way FOB (up front).
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2019, 01:37:09 AM »
The CM150Fs
 b9 says they're out of stock on them at the moment- but they do have a new version in stock.
He said they are "direct cable out"- but I didn't get an answer if it's active or just a built in XLR?

I like the "active" (style) set up direct to xlr. the "collette" looks to be a bit longer than say the Schoeps or others, but it's clean. - Are the capsules interchangeable? could the wide card (CM131F)  , or omni cardioid  (CM 130H) with high frequency boost t  be available in this configuration, as a matched pair perhaps? what exactly is there difference between the wide cardioid and the Omni card?
thanks
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
I like the "active" (style) set up direct to xlr. the "collette" looks to be a bit longer than say the Schoeps or others, but it's clean. - Are the capsules interchangeable? could the wide card (CM131F)  , or omni cardioid  (CM 130H) with high frequency boost t  be available in this configuration, as a matched pair perhaps? what exactly is there difference between the wide cardioid and the Omni card?
thanks
--Ian

The capsules are interchangeable, Almost all B9audio capsules can be fitted, except CSM88.
Difference bewteen 30 and 31: 30 is more omni like, so it is an "O". 31 is more cardioid like, so it is "1". In case you need them for sound reinforcement, 30 could be in the same situation as an omni, and 31 could be almost used as a cardioid. Certainly, still easier feedback compared with standard cardioid.

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »

CMP1C is exactly the same in electronics with CMP1, only difference is to add a cable between the PCB and the XLR plug.
There're some benefit, especially in some critical situation:
1. Need extreme short microphone length, such as for mounting inside the VR Ball. Only 100mm for a microphone; including XLR plug for standard microphones. It is certainly not possible and special low profile plug is needed in such case.
2. Reduce connections, such as the case above, for standard microphones, there's 1 extra connection needed. Every additional connection increase the quality risk. (If you use thick cable, shock mount doesn't work well.)
3. Provide better vibration isolation. Low profile flexible cable transmit much less vibration energy than standard thick mic cable.
4. Added extra possibility: Stereo version, 3-channel version, and 4-channel version uses a single plug. User run simple multi pair cable from microphones to mixer/recorder/pre amplifiers, reduce cable complexity.

thanks
--Ian

Y'all sold me on this. I'm practicing setting up w/ my new shock mounts & stand/stereo bar and I can see how it would be a benefit. Going to purchase a pair right now.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
thanks
--Ian

The capsules are interchangeable, Almost all B9audio capsules can be fitted, except CSM88.
Difference bewteen 30 and 31: 30 is more omni like, so it is an "O". 31 is more cardioid like, so it is "1". In case you need them for sound reinforcement, 30 could be in the same situation as an omni, and 31 could be almost used as a cardioid. Certainly, still easier feedback compared with standard cardioid.

Just wondering if one wanted to order a matched pair of capsules with the "active" style "collettes" to mini (starquad-or similar) cable to  XLR how would one do so and what would be the costing? there appears to be no information  or pricing on the site about any "active type" set ups.  will the pdf brochure etc. and website be updated soon?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:52 PM »
Just wondering if one wanted to order a matched pair of capsules with the "active" style "collettes" to mini (starquad-or similar) cable to  XLR how would one do so and what would be the costing? there appears to be no information  or pricing on the site about any "active type" set ups.  will the pdf brochure etc. and website be updated soon?

Yes, we will update the website and product info soon. Planning to make another brochure on the CMP1C combinations.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2019, 11:16:54 PM »
People, please: "Colette" is a name used by Schoeps GmbH to identify their CMC microphone series. Among the features of this series is Schoeps' original, patented scheme of "active" accessories (i.e. accessories that contain active circuitry). These accessories can be placed between the capsule and amplifier of a condenser microphone so as to allow unobtrusive placement of the capsule as a lightweight unit separate from the amplifier, or for other purposes such as signal processing (e.g. very sharp, active low-cut filtering).

"Colette" isn't a generic term. There's no such thing as "the colette" of something--even if that something was made by Schoeps.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »
So would mic capsule holder be more appropriate?  Thx.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
In all honesty I didn't know what part of the microphone you were trying to describe, and I still don't. If you meant the part that contains the circuitry--that's the amplifier. Or maybe you meant the short, narrow part at the back of the amplifier where the cable exits. I guess you could call that the "neck" of the amplifier, but that's not any kind of standardized term.

Anyway, those are just two guesses off the top of my head. (And maybe you meant something else entirely ...)

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:03:05 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
Anyone on this board using active or collette  with " " " ", I feel 90% of the people reading it understands what they r referring too.  With all do respect to schoeps,   I feel it's great that here on this board u can purchase "actives" with "collettes" for akg, neumann, mbho and gefells along with schoeps.  Yes, most use those terms, active and collette, in the "generic " sense,  but is there any other terms that could be used? Ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com