Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: batt boxes, all the same?  (Read 6362 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: batt boxes, all the same?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »
aha, sooooo, the rolloff will not work on line in, but the box will still help handle big spl's. So, for std level concerts
I'll still go mic in with the box and whatever roll off I think is necessary.

But for LOUD shows, it would seem to be best to go line in, using the box, but ignoring the roll off functions.

correct?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 09:45:50 AM »
aha, sooooo, the rolloff will not work on line in, but the box will still help handle big spl's. So, for std level concerts

But for LOUD shows, it would seem to be best to go line in, using the box, but ignoring the roll off functions.

correct?

Honestly, i would also go line in with a battery box.  Mic ins tend to be noisy and are often frowned upon as being inferior compared to running line in with a bbox.  All imho.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 03:35:58 PM »

correct?
Not Quite As per lordbelial's posting

Mmm.. well. that depends on the impedance of the line-in of your recorder. Most battery boxes are designed for impedances of 10Kohm, and, for example, dats have got an input impedance of 47 Kohm line in and 4,7 Kohm mic-in.

The actual roll off in Hz of the battery box is only as quoted by the manufacters (Sound Professionals + Core Sounds) when the input impedance is 10k (I'm afraid I don't know the impedance of the D8)
But there will still be bass roll-off at ?47k if thats the impedance of the line in on the D8
This thread is very helpful on this subject
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=40920.0
Read the posting from DKlein especially
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 03:38:13 PM by cybermansrev »

ilduclo

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 05:07:41 PM »
then, seems line in will be Ok for ALL shows, including quiet acoustic ones?

and I'll experiment with the Bass roll off, see what I think, maybe a really bassy show...?

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 06:07:45 AM »

Your extrapolating too much here, this wasn't the situation you wanted a solution for!

I think I need to clarify. I don’t have the Coresound modified 4061’s. I have the stock ones from DPA, actually a used set offfa EBay. I need to get them modified so they can handle Isis and Khanate type levels, I understand they can handle 144 db when powered with 9v. I already have a Coresound battery box for the old std “binaurals”, so I was hoping to be able to just get the DPA’s modified to plug into that box and then I won’t have to buy a new one.

If you're taping quiet acoustics shows you may need to use mic in and amplify using the D8's preamp OR buy an external preamp and go line in.

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 06:27:02 AM »

and I'll experiment with the Bass roll off, see what I think, maybe a really bassy show...?

Well... that's not right at all.

In my experience. My last show was acoustic from a local band. I taped them with permission (and they have a copy of the show, of course), and I was running.

AT853 CMC-4 (cards) --> Battery Box from SP --> Line in NJB3 (wav 44Khz)

The problem was the levels. I knew that I was going to have very low levels, because of the moderate SPL's of the show, and I haven't got a pre yet (i'm waiting for a UA-5 to come from Belgium, just bought it from ebay without the mod, but I can handle myself a digimod.). So I had to add +12db of digital preamp in the NJB3 and the levels were fine. I was afraid of diginoises and that stuff, but the recording came out great (until a dumbass hit my stand and the mics fell until hit into a wall, but only for a brief half second you can hear a BUMP from the mics hit...)

A preamp is higly recommended when running line in @ moderate SPL sittuations. IMO.
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

ilduclo

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 10:43:26 AM »
I think I'll use the mic in for low SPL shows, it sure has worked OK for now, using the "CrappySoundingBinauarls"
and their switchable battery box. I haven't noticed any lack of clarity or other bad sound using it so far. Note that I am using a D100, same essentially as a M1 DAT, not a JB. Again, I was looking for BBox info for using my new (used, actually, but new to me) DPA 4061's with the D100.
So, I got the SP BBox with the switchable filters. I think I will use the filters on the mic in shows that I use, but probably not for the line in, loud SPL ones. Really, the mic in is pretty nice for the majority of the shows I attend, but there are a few that will overload even with the BB.

thanks again!

ilduc

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »
ok so i am a little confused, the bass roll MUST work going line in otherwise there is no point to even making the box with bass roll
because once you plug into the box its giving you a line signal out.
you wouldn't want to plug your line signal into a mic in right

at any rate i set mine at 98 or whatever it is around there and most of the time it works fine, but a few times when i was really colse i was i had it higher
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 02:49:25 PM »
ok so i am a little confused, the bass roll MUST work going line in otherwise there is no point to even making the box with bass roll
because once you plug into the box its giving you a line signal out.
you wouldn't want to plug your line signal into a mic in right

at any rate i set mine at 98 or whatever it is around there and most of the time it works fine, but a few times when i was really colse i was i had it higher

Bass roll off depends on the impedance of the line/mic input.
The signal level depends on the mic and the environment (rock concert...).
That combo decides what input you want to use and what capacitance you need for roll off if any.

Get decent cardioids and you won't need roll off. (at least, that is my experience; my box was made for 47K impedance and filters (-3 db) 22 Hz and below)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com