Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 126597 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »
As noticed, most of the issues the reviewer has relate to filming uses.  I never use a limiter, and the ability to record 4+4 tracks down by a selectable number of dB will improve my clip protection.  What got my attention was:

"And hold and behold, after playing back the files on my computer, I realized that it was not the recordings, but rather the headphone amp on the F8 that was coloring the sound. I have to be honest and say that I am completely blown away by how incredibly good the Zoom F8 mic pre’s sound. I can hear very little difference against the Sound Devices 744T, playing back from my laptop’s DAC using ATH-M50X to monitor. There’s no audible self-noise, unlike its siblings. There seems to be a good amount of dynamic range too.

That said, the headphone amp leaves a lot to be desired in terms of frequency response, timbre and coloration. What you hear does not accurately represent what you’re actually recording, and that can be problematic."

I don't think the headphone amps on my 722 or 633 are partricularly good, either, by the way, though I'm spoiled by editing on Stax much of the time.

Jeff

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
The headphone amp coloration comment is nothing to me.  Most headphone amps are really crappy anyway, the only exception being the Sound Devices 7xx.  I don't EQ on the fly and don't know anyone that does, so coloration doesn't matter to me.  However, it's billed as being a much louder headphone amp, which I like...ALOT.  I'm only interested in monitoring to make sure there's nothing wrong in the recording chain and that  there's no noise or spiking that I might not be seeing on level monitors.  I've had some recordings with low level noise that I didn't realize was there during the show because the head amp on my current recorders aren't loud enough to overcome the native sound at the show, so having a loud head amp is an important improvement to me, if it is indeed that much louder.

The line level input issue, while you have to wonder why they designed this way, isn't a show stopper for me at this price point.  Attenuators are cheaper than a pair of cables and if you're really worried about carrying extras along with, then why consider an 8 channel recorder?  Anyway, except for the loudest shows, I'm not sure it would be an issue for most of my recording situations.  On my 744t when I had it, I often ran my external preamps at club shows with the 744 switches on 'mic' rather than 'line', so this isn't a show stopper for me.  I'd probably have attenuators in the bag and pull them out on the rare occasion when needed.  That said, I do agree that it's quite strange that selectable line vs. mic was not designed in.

Interesting about his comparison with the 744s preamps...I'm much fonder of the my external preamps than I am the internal preamps on the 744.  Really happy to read his very positive response about the sound of the pres though. 

Objectively, as others have already stated, I find that I don't come from much of a similar baseline as this reviewer.  It would be interesting to hear a taper review of the unit to see if they have a similar final conclusion. 

Regardless, the prevailing issue for me still remains that this unit is 5 times cheaper than its main competitor at this point.  The pointed out deficiencies, for what I do, are more than compensated for by the attractive price point...and that's not even considering the fact that this unit actually has some increased functionality over its competition (with the wi-fi capability).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:43:03 AM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
I suppose as a compromise position to the above comment about carrying attenuators, I could get used to using interconnects with TRS connectors on one end and since there's plenty of gain on the line level, rather than carry extra cables with XLR connectors, just bump levels in situations where I'd have otherwise preferred using the mic level signal to line level.  Still, eyerolls to Zoom for this design feature.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:01:58 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2015, 10:30:28 AM »
They have shipped!

I will have the F8 this afternoon and will see what results I get tomorrow (Friday) when I run it for it's 1st gig.

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »
I suppose as a compromise position to the above comment about carrying attenuators, I could get used to using interconnects with TRS connectors on one end and since there's plenty of gain on the line level, rather than carry extra cables with XLR connectors, just bump levels in situations where I'd have otherwise preferred using the mic level signal to line level.  Still, eyerolls to Zoom for this design feature.  ::)

The challenge with using TRS cables in my eyes is that the input won't supply phantom power at the point requiring me to switch to XLR if I have a preamp problem. Which is why my original thought is that I'd need two pairs of cables just in case. Sure, not that big of a deal to have the extra cables in my bag BUT why not have switchable phantom like the DR-680 for those just in case situations. Again, major miss on Zoom's part IMO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

stevetoney

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »

The challenge with using TRS cables in my eyes is that the input won't supply phantom power at the point requiring me to switch to XLR if I have a preamp problem. Which is why my original thought is that I'd need two pairs of cables just in case. Sure, not that big of a deal to have the extra cables in my bag BUT why not have switchable phantom like the DR-680 for those just in case situations. Again, major miss on Zoom's part IMO.

Ah yes, completely valid point!  More eyerolls to Zoom. 

Wonder if this can be addressed by a firmware update.  On the DR70D, line vs mic level is a menu selectable item, but on the 70D line vs. mic isn't differentiated between the XLR and TRS inputs, as it seems to be on this unit.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2015, 11:25:20 AM »
They have shipped!

I will have the F8 this afternoon and will see what results I get tomorrow (Friday) when I run it for it's 1st gig.

Now we're getting to the "do or die" phase.  The aluminum case, 8 channels, TC and price point are all good bait to reel in buyers, but how does it sound?   

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
Silly that they didn't make the inputs mic/line selectable, but, really, I can't imagine overloading the mic input during a concert recording.  14 dBu to overload the XLRs, if the specs are accurate.  With any normal sensitivity mic, that would require a crushingly loud show.  You'd probably distort most mics at that sot of volume (not to mention the hearing damage)...

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
Really unfortunate about the -10 dBV line input.  I think that answers tonedeaf's question about an external pre - you're going to need inline attenuators.  Even the much less expensive DR-70D can handle +4dBu.  This was a big miss on Zoom's part.

The author has corrected his review after a note from Zoom indicating line-in is pro 4 dBV, see the update and comments below.

Jeff

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
Just got mine today, had my dad dropp it off at my lab to play around with while I wait for the analysis I'm running to finish. It's looks pretty sturdy. I will probably run it at peach fest this weekend. I'll have more of a review afterward.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »
The author has corrected his review after a note from Zoom indicating line-in is pro 4 dBV, see the update and comments below.
Moral - don't believe everything you read on the internet...  The post by Zoom correcting several wrong facts or impressions in the review is extremely encouraging as they appear at least to be ready to make changes to address user concerns, and are certainly monitoring reviews and perhaps discussions too.  Hi Zoom!  :)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
The default firmware doesn't support the iOS controller, however they have a file to install that function on the website. I linked to it below.

I sent zoom an email suggesting different lengths for the extender cable for the modular capsules. While I prefer to use my telefunkens etc, it would be neat to be able to put their modular capsules at the top of a stand.

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/software/F8_Bluetooth_Add-on_E.zip

edit:

Fixed Beatles to be able
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:07:22 AM by vegeta_ban »
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
The issue with TRS cables for preamp's...eh...I lived with that for years with my Fostex FR2LE/Grace V2 it has a similar gain/input structure and would brickwall the mic pre on the Fostex if you ran into XLR input with the V2...never had a problem with the TRS...

If the Pre dies or the TRS cable dies...just plug the microphone XLR into the Zoom 8 and use it's pre in a pinch...been there and done that when battery power became a issue at a festival...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »
I'm liking the Zoom F8 so far. If you have a tekkeon battery the tip labeled "C", yellow colored tip, can supply power to the DC in set at 12V.

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »
All set to run this eve with the F8!  Will be a Wind instrument evening with West Philly Orch. opening for Rebirth Brass Band.

I am going to run all mic's direct this eve. and bypass any pre's, using a Shure VP88 in MS mode, a pair of Telefunken M60's with TK62 HC caps and a pair of Neumann KM100's with AK43's Wide Cards. 

6 channels should be a good test run this eve.  West Philly Orch has a tendency to parade around the room off the stage while playing, as to why I will run the wide cards with the VP88.

Running power from the battery cup Ni 12V using a Hirose connection.  Have the Tekkeon as a backup too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:12:40 AM by 404 Not Found »
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com