Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where to buy some Nakamichi's and Audio-Technica's?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Where to buy some Nakamichi's and Audio-Technica's?
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »
Hi guys, is there a place where I can buy some Nakamichi mikes (in particulary the '300' caps) and discontinued AT mikes?
I'm looking for a website or something.. don't have a clue on where to start seeking!

Thanks and cheers!!

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Where to buy some Nakamichi's and Audio-Technica's?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »
Welcome, Rick.

Naks come up for sale on here (in the Yard Sale) every so often.  Ebay is always a good place to look as well.  There's probably a good chance you'll find some here by putting an "ISO" in the Yard Sale.

We also have a Team Nakamichi in the Team boards.  Be sure check there for just about anything Nak-mic related.

There's tons of info here!

Happy hunting!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
Rick... I happen to have a pair of Nak300 omni caps... just the caps, not full mics.  If you are interested email me joe.deadhead@gmail.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project

Offline Giant_Rick

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Sorry SmokinJoe, but I'm not planning buying the Nak's soon.
First I need some cash, then I need to think about something on..
Those mikes are 'big' and clearly not for stealth, and I'll record only the stealth way. No way for using those great, but 'bulky', mikes!
Secondly, I actually have a Hi-MD recorder, so no 48V power and a preamp would be a huge effort now.

Thank you anyway!

Two more questions:

•what is the best 'type' of mike for recording jazz music?

•is there a site with the specific for each mike and, perhaps, samples?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:38 PM »
You can get the Naks chopped down in the "Franken Nak" mod that is more acceptable for low-profile use.  I'm not sure who is doing the mod right now but search around the board.

"Best" is a subjective question - and highly subject to price range.  In the price range of used Naks (i.e., sub $300) the Church Audio CA-14 cardiods or Audio Technica AT U853 (aka SP-CMC-4) mics give great bang for the buck. 

I would try the Live Music Archive at archive.org - there are tons of recordings there with all kinds of mics.  Listen to bands that are similar to what you'll be recording, and see what you think.

Of course, the user of a mic -placement and other taping skill - can be just as important as the mic itself!

Thanks for the info!

Sorry SmokinJoe, but I'm not planning buying the Nak's soon.
First I need some cash, then I need to think about something on..
Those mikes are 'big' and clearly not for stealth, and I'll record only the stealth way. No way for using those great, but 'bulky', mikes!
Secondly, I actually have a Hi-MD recorder, so no 48V power and a preamp would be a huge effort now.

Thank you anyway!

Two more questions:

•what is the best 'type' of mike for recording jazz music?

•is there a site with the specific for each mike and, perhaps, samples?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Giant_Rick

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
You can get the Naks chopped down in the "Franken Nak" mod that is more acceptable for low-profile use.  I'm not sure who is doing the mod right now but search around the board.

"Best" is a subjective question - and highly subject to price range.  In the price range of used Naks (i.e., sub $300) the Church Audio CA-14 cardiods or Audio Technica AT U853 (aka SP-CMC-4) mics give great bang for the buck. 

I would try the Live Music Archive at archive.org - there are tons of recordings there with all kinds of mics.  Listen to bands that are similar to what you'll be recording, and see what you think.

Of course, the user of a mic -placement and other taping skill - can be just as important as the mic itself!

I'll search for the Franken Mod, thanks.

As for the price.. I should get about 300$ (to be honest are € as I live in old Europe) by 2010, then I don't know.. on 21st jan. I'm turning 18, so I can ask for some more cash.. but the R09HR is a must.

I agree with the ability of recording. In July I went to a Springsteen's show and met a taper (damn, I wish i had asked him his email address!!) who suggested me the right spot to record.
I was in the pit, in front of the right stack.
It ended up a nice recording (considering it has been made with a Sony cheapo mike), but I sang a lot.. so it's almost unlistable.
Next moth there will be a jazz festival in my city and I'll be taping in small theater (I suppose the best spot is on the side and close to the speakers). If everything goes well, something will pops up on Dime.

Thanks for the hint!
So I'll buy

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
Hmmm, so Al Franken is modifying microphones for tapers now? It's not enough for him to be a comedian and a senator?

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
Just remember that these Nakamichis are old now. At least 25 years! Just because of their name, the price tag is elevated... I think there are some more "younger" alternatavies for less money worth considering, especially if you are going for stealth. I am not stealthing so I keep my Nakamichis.

Franken, chopped etc. is just a matter of making them smaller, to get rid of the battery compartment. You will then need another source of power. If you are not doing this yourself, it ends up rather expensive.

Roger

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »
The Naks do not require phantom power (at least not the unmodified ones) and I bet there are many 80's era tapers who'd disagree about the ability to stealth with them :-)  But this is a different era and they would not be a good fit based on what you describe you want to do.  There are lots of affordable options out there as folks mentioned above - once you choose something, I advise you experiment around at venues you attend regularly to best understand where they sound best under different locations, music types etc.  Location and technique mastery will probably yield you better results than exactly what gear you buy.  As for the singing while recording part...you might want to make that an either/or situation as the two don't go together very well ;-)
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
I really love my naks, but I have never used them stealth. I would have to almost agree with Roger on the fact that there may be bettrer and cheaper mics for this kind of taping.

I use an R-09HR and chris Church's ST-9100 and CA-11's and couldn't be happier. I also run these as a second set a lot when I'm taping open. Look around a bit before you pick these and go for the mod IMO.

Offline Giant_Rick

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
As for the singing while recording part...you might want to make that an either/or situation as the two don't go together very well ;-)
It was a show I couldn't sing.. have you ever been at a Springsteen's concert?

I'll work for the best spot in the venues I usually go and I'm almost sure on the rig I'll buy in the next months.. some CA cardioid mikes for stealth + a preamp (CA 9100 or 9000, I'll decide it later) and R09HR as recorder; for open taping I'll look for some Nak mikes and use the same recorder.. will decide further later for the preamp.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com