Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)

<< < (131/131)

mrfender:

--- Quote from: shadowfax1007 on March 27, 2024, 11:15:09 PM ---So I did some extensive reading on the A10 before buying one recently, but one thing I never found a clear answer on was the cause of the channel failures.
I saw a bunch of people theorise that it was 12V battery boxes killing the input - was that ever confirmed? For people who did have an A10 die, can you comment if you were using 9V or 12V BB's.

I've currently got a 12V BB but if it's going to kill my A10, I'll make a 9V version if it's going to be safer.

--- End quote ---

Well that sucks.  I was in the process of building a small 12v box but maybe I'll switch it over to a 9v using an A29 battery.   

DavidPuddy:

--- Quote from: shadowfax1007 on March 29, 2024, 02:16:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: DavidPuddy on March 28, 2024, 01:51:47 AM ---You should have a DC blocking cap at the battery box output for each channel. Might want to start there - see if you get a DC reading with mics plugged in.

--- End quote ---

So just to ensure I'm understanding you correctly:
1) Plug in microphones into battery box input
2) Use a multimeter at the battery box output and test for DC voltage? If so, where am I putting the positive and negative probes?

I'm using a SP-SPSB-10 from the Sound Professionals, so hopefully there is DC blocking.

--- End quote ---

Yes, plug mics in and set your meter to DC volts. With the battery box output plug, put black probe on ground (should be furthest from the tip) and check the ring and tip for dc voltage. You should not see anything but if you get a mV or two it’s not a big deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version