Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41V - In which direction should I put them?  (Read 8951 times)

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Schoeps MK41V - In which direction should I put them?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
Is MK41V side facing capsule? I think only theoretically. Maybe the configuration for side facing capsule in horizontal position is better in the first picture. The capsule housing is blocking high frequencies from opposite stack in the second picture.

I am just curious. Why do you prefer the second picture? And what is the advantage of side facing capsule in the horizontal position compared to forward facing capsule?

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
Is MK41V side facing capsule? I think only theoretically. Maybe the configuration for side facing capsule in horizontal position is better in the first picture. The capsule housing is blocking high frequencies from opposite stack in the second picture.

I am just curious. Why do you prefer the second picture? And what is the advantage of side facing capsule in the horizontal position compared to forward facing capsule?

This is also theoretically as I don't have any experience of these capsuls, yet. In my case the bold in your text might be a positive thing. I usually tape the stacks and it's possible that this can create a more separated stereo image. I don't want one stack to interfere with the other. I'm sure many people here disagree with me on this, though. :D

Perhaps you mean the top of the capsule? On the V's it's solid on the top. No mic there. I can be wrong. It has happened many times before. But I don't think so. That I'm wrong.  :shrug:

About a regular MK41 capsule vs vertical. What I have been told the later is easier to use when doing recordings without a microphone stand. Stealth. That's why I decided to purchase them. Soundwise they are almost identical.

I'm really the last person who should reply to these questions but I couldn't stop myself.  :cheers:
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »

I usually tape the stacks and it's possible that this can create a more separated stereo image.

If you're taping the stacks, then you really don't care about "separated stereo image" to begin with.

Or put another way, if "separated stereo image" was a concern, then you'd be taping the show from the middle of the room - approximately equidistant from the left and right stacks.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »
Remember the Schoeps vertical caps on the STC ORTF bar are at 70˚ while 4's would be 110˚.  if you care about that kind of stuff.  41v's--awesome caps.  Good luck and have fun.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
If I put the capsules like picture 1. How will that affect the stereo image?

Like Daspy I don't run these myself so with that in mind weigh my advice against those who do, but imaging should be about the same either way.  The most important thing with regards to that aspect is that the capsule faces marked with red dots face the same direction, with the same angle and spacing between the diaphragms.  How you achieve that is much less important, but perhaps not completely insignificant.

There may be some minor differences from diffraction effects around the capsule housings and cable connectors due to the asymmetries of the alternate horizontal capsule arrangements shown in your diagrams.  Those differences may or may not be audible to a really discerning ear, but I'd expect them to be minor.  If that's a concern to you, you're best bet will be to run them with the capsules oriented vertically as rippleish20 mentions, which is their intended orientation.  In that configuration the capsule housings are fully horizontally symmetrical with respect to each other and the asymmetries of the capsule housing will be in the vertical rather than the horizontal plane.

The larger issues which swamp those minor concerns are practicalities of set up and management of the arrangement.  Ed's recommendation and experience reflects these essential practical aspects.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
if "separated stereo image" was a concern, then you'd be taping the show from the middle of the room - approximately equidistant from the left and right stacks.

...and that's exactly what I do. Not to be rude but what's your point here?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
if "separated stereo image" was a concern, then you'd be taping the show from the middle of the room - approximately equidistant from the left and right stacks.

When someone on this site says they are stealth taping and "taping the stacks" that typically means very up close to one side or the other not from the middle of the room.

Just semantics - nothing more.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »

When someone on this site says they are stealth taping and "taping the stacks" that typically means very up close to one side or the other not from the middle of the room.

thank you, i apologize for misunderstanding the OP's terminology when he said he "tapes the stacks" and "doesn't want one stack to interfere with the other".

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »

thank you, i apologize for misunderstanding the OP's terminology when he said he "tapes the stacks" and "doesn't want one stack to interfere with the other".

Sorry, but I took for granted that the images I added in the first post was enough for anyone to understand how I usually position myself at a show.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
Thank you for the explanation.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »
When i open tape, i run MK6's or MK4V's in a vertical position pointed at stacks but
close to DIN or DINa, not exactly, but close. Results are great! But when i use the hat
the verticals caps lying sideways facing rearwards fit beautiful in the proper hat. I'm not
going to post pictures or go into any details, experimentation in the field will show you what works.
As far as this setup stack taping, there is a way to still get a good stereo image and tape in front of one
speaker or another. This sometimes depends on room acoustics. It's impossible to get the perfect taping seat
every time, and minor tweaks to this setup can produce amazing results for stealth.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
Remember the Schoeps vertical caps on the STC ORTF bar are at 70˚ while 4's would be 110˚.  if you care about that kind of stuff.  41v's--awesome caps.  Good luck and have fun.

I'm planning to use a DINa bar from Shapeways made for the V-caps. Thank you! I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun. :)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »

Like Daspy I don't run these myself so with that in mind weigh my advice against those who do, but imaging should be about the same either way.  The most important thing with regards to that aspect is that the capsule faces marked with red dots face the same direction, with the same angle and spacing between the diaphragms.  How you achieve that is much less important, but perhaps not completely insignificant.

There may be some minor differences from diffraction effects around the capsule housings and cable connectors due to the asymmetries of the alternate horizontal capsule arrangements shown in your diagrams.  Those differences may or may not be audible to a really discerning ear, but I'd expect them to be minor.  If that's a concern to you, you're best bet will be to run them with the capsules oriented vertically as rippleish20 mentions, which is their intended orientation.  In that configuration the capsule housings are fully horizontally symmetrical with respect to each other and the asymmetries of the capsule housing will be in the vertical rather than the horizontal plane.

The larger issues which swamp those minor concerns are practicalities of set up and management of the arrangement.  Ed's recommendation and experience reflects these essential practical aspects.

You always add some interesting inputs. Thank you! :)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
When i open tape, i run MK6's or MK4V's in a vertical position pointed at stacks but
close to DIN or DINa, not exactly, but close. Results are great! But when i use the hat
the verticals caps lying sideways facing rearwards fit beautiful in the proper hat. I'm not
going to post pictures or go into any details, experimentation in the field will show you what works.
As far as this setup stack taping, there is a way to still get a good stereo image and tape in front of one
speaker or another. This sometimes depends on room acoustics. It's impossible to get the perfect taping seat
every time, and minor tweaks to this setup can produce amazing results for stealth.

I love your recordings so I will try to come as close to them as possible. :)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »

You always add some interesting inputs. Thank you! :)

You can definitely trust Ed's advise.

Here's a show that we both did. We were practically shoulder to shoulder location-wise...

https://archive.org/details/ttb2016-02-18.mk4v.flac24
https://archive.org/details/ttb2016-02-18.aud.mk4.edtyre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com