Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What does it take to light a peak light?  (Read 2081 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
What does it take to light a peak light?
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:02:42 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has ever experimented with their peak lights on their pres?

I'm wondering  how long a peak has to be to light the light?

What if a peak is really fast? Will the LED catch it?

I'm nearly convinced I get the best results when I allow no peaks on the input - and then add gain with the output control. (my pre works more like a channel strip with a built in A/D - each channel has two knobs beyond the input trimmer - one for Analog Output, one for Digital Output - metering for both)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: What does it take to light a peak light?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
I would assume it depends on calibration. Even unit to unit on the same product could vary ever so slightly. When in doubt, do what sounds right. How much do those DBX run anyway?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »
What does it take to light a peak light?

About 1.5 volts.

8)

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »
How much do those DBX run anyway?

On ebay 386s typically fetch about 300...250 on the low side...

I really like it - has a 24/96 AD w/clock I/O, runs two tubes at high voltage, and has good metering. If you have regular AC access, it's really not too much to tote around. I've even come to like the indexed knobs. Just need mics and something to convert to optical, if necessary...

It certainly imparts some color on your recording. But I still feel everything is sufficiently transparent. There might be certain amount of detail in the high treble that is missing. But - Most everything I do is at close range...not sure I'd want to use this is a really diffuse sound field. I've never been a huge fan of treble anyway...I like shit to sound like those old Glen Campbell albums...the ones with the Nelson Riddle orchestra.

I dont hear the tubes quite as much as you might using a tube pre in your playback system. Anytime I've had tube pre in my playback system, I like it for about 2 weeks - but then get sick of it. "Fatigue" is what the high-end guys called it...

I got mine used. And I have yet to put new tubes in it - so I am actually expecting a uptick in performance...

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:26:03 PM »
I have not really experimented with the peak lite on my UA-5.  It's supposed to light at -3db which is good to know but it is not very exact.

I've picked up a SVUx and it came out of the box calibrated so that the first red led was = the peak light on my UA-5.  I've then set levels so that the second led rarely lights during the show but the first does occasionaly..  Used it for the first time Friday at Shanti Groove and got near perfect levels.  If you don't have levels on your pre I highly suggest the SVUx.

Another big benefit is that you don't have to be near your rig to check levels..... Stick the SVUx out of the bag and find some dancing room and you can monitor your levles from many feet away.  Works well when you have other tapers around watching each others eq.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com