Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Decrease Volume Clapping Increase Volume Music

(1/5) > >>

gormenghast:
This might be a classic issue and probably gone over before many times.  I have a recording where the clapping is loud in parts of the concert.  It's a youth symphony.  The concert started out kinda loud so I backed off the levels a bit then it never got loud again.  In fact, it was sort of a quieter concert compared to how it initially started out.  I figured I could just fix in post so I left the recorder alone.  So, how do I increase the volume of the music and maybe decrease the volume of the clapping.  If the volume of the music has to be at the same level as the clapping I'll settle for that.  I just want the levels of the music increased across the whole recording.  I'm using Audacity on a MBA.

Thanks!

ycoop:
You can use the Compression tool in Audacity on the clapping portions. Fiddle with the settings until you get some that sounds natural. This is a common issue and compression should give you the result you’re looking for.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/compressor.html

detroit lightning:
Here's a recent thread I started working through this. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186078.msg2261668#msg2261668

I've tried limiters, but ultimately the envelope tool has worked the best for me. Learning curve is less than I thought too. Basically, reduce the clapping peaks w/ the envelope tool, and then either normalize or amplify the entire waveform.

opsopcopolis:
I feel like I say this in some thread once every two weeks, but limit (or compress depending on your preferred method) that shit. That's what they're designed to do

nulldogmas:
Yup — either:

1) Note the loudest peak of the music*, and compress the hell out of everything above that, or

2) If the clapping is only between songs, compress the hell out of just those sections to taste, and leave the music alone.

Then normalize everything back up to peaking at 0 dB, and you're good.

*Note: I've found that applying compression to a few stray loud peaks of music, particularly if they're drum hits, is invariably unnoticeable. But if you're antsy, just stick to the clapping peaks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version