Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: making right angle xlr cables...  (Read 3241 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
making right angle xlr cables...
« on: June 21, 2004, 07:42:50 PM »
need to get a pair of right angle xlr cables and wondered if anybody would be willing to make me some cheap cables.  i thought about making my own, it sounds pretty easy from reading the info. in the archive section.  i haven't done a lot of soldering but the little i have do it seems pretty easy.  where does everybody order there supplies from?  i think i'll stay away from markertek since my only order from them got screwed up, any other suggestions where to buy from? 
save

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: making right angle xlr cables...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 07:53:25 PM »
Right angles is a bit mor of a pain in the ass but you can do eeet!

I recently ordered some RCA ends from partsexpress.com and had no hassles at all.....then again I didn't ever have trouble with markertek either. 
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 02:19:20 AM »
justin, send the stuff my way and i'll solder whatever you want if its not TOO difficult!!

like mark terry asked, maybe a few flacs down the road is all i ask :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:03:26 PM »
justin, send the stuff my way and i'll solder whatever you want if its not TOO difficult!!

like mark terry asked, maybe a few flacs down the road is all i ask :)

You mean Terry Watts.  Marc Terry is the other "Terry" from NC...

But yeah, if you want to send them to me or Beanorama, FLACs is all we wants...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 02:59:58 PM »
Anyway I could get a pair as well? I know, I'm a thread hijacker...but I've meaning to ask around myself. I'd gladly offer discs, tapes, beer money, etc.

;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 04:35:29 PM »
to make the wires stay put a bit easier when soldering, i put a drop of solder on the little connector and tin the wire. when i heat up the area, it just melts right together.

i don't have any extra parts floating around for right angle connectors right now (they are all spoken for already).  I can build them for some folks that want them, too. Just buy the parts you want and I can put them together for you.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 09:21:50 AM »
Justin, it seemed to me that the BLUE Cranberrys that you sold me developed a little bit of a short or somthing in one of them

weird i never had any probs w/ them?  what were they doing that made u think they had a short in them?  hopefully u got them working properly, let me know if u want me to reimburse you the money for the new xlr's.  i feel bad that they weren't working properly.

btw what are you going to be running for mics/pre fri?  i might be there fri depending on how some stuff goes today.  i'll have my complete rig together fri except for my mod sbm1.  my psp-2 should be here today or tomorrow :)
save

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 01:32:37 PM »
I'll try this here. I also made my own right angle XLR's and yes they are a pain. I made 2 short runs with right angles on both ends. I sit my V3 upright in my gear bag and connect my long run cables to the other end.
Recently I had problems with one at Jones Beach. I was able to work around it by removing the 2 short run cables and connecting the long run cables directly to the V3. I traced the problem back to the previous show I recorded and found nasty noises in left channel throughout the entire show, mostly intermittent. By next show, Jones Beach, that short run right angle XLR, going into left channel, was completely dead. I found wires resting on each other when I took it apart. My question is, since it obviously shorted out, could I have caused any damage to any other equipment? Either V3 or mics.
I'm hoping to test everything with new right angle shorty's that I ended up buying, but haven't had a chance yet. Thought I'd ask the question first if any any other potential damage may have been caused, mainly on V3.
Thanks, Tony

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com