Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GoPro or similar camera installation  (Read 3371 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
GoPro or similar camera installation
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:31:54 PM »

I am looking to install a camera at a local club where I frequently record love music. We would like to use to capture performances as well as potentially provide live broadcasts to sold out shows. A couple of questions:

- Is GoPro the way to go or are there better options for this type of work? My ideal would be to leave it up there and plugged in all the time only going up to get the flash card.
 - As I would be installing on a rafter on the ceiling, what are the best tools to complete this installation?
 - Any other thoughts on this idea from those who have also tried?

Thank you for the advice!

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: GoPro or similar camera installation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:12 AM »
I would say no to getting GoPro for this.  First off - you pay a premium for GoPro's form factor and ability to perform in various unique settings.  However, you are just shooting a static shot at a club - and don't need something that can shoot video from a helmet cam or the end of a surf board.  And secondly, I'm not even sure if GoPro comes with the kind of connections you'll need.  Basically, you just need a decent video camera (I assume you will want to broadcast in HD) that has a "clean" HDMI output so you can broadcast the feed.  There are tons of websites and youtube videos out there that speak to this situation.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:17 AM »
Expect drunk people to mess w/ your install...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:01:30 AM »
GoPro's are WAY overpriced IMO. And the quality in the dark isn't that great. Also the lens really is designed for close up stuff. You'd have to have the camera pretty close to the stage.

If you wanted to go with something like that I'd consider a knockoff brand. The video quality isn't quite as good as GoPro (which isn't that great either)...but they are WAY cheaper. I'd rather have 90% of the quality for 30% of the price of a GoPro.

http://co-op.kinja.com/your-favorite-budget-action-cam-is-the-xiaomi-yi-1759461934

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com