Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KORG MR-1 pt.II  (Read 108105 times)

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: KORG MR-1 pt.II
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2009, 12:44:24 AM »
You cannot charge the Korg MR-1 via USB.

You are absolutely correct. However, that wasn't the purpose of my post! From the thread on using an external battery with the MR-1, the unit requires power that turns out to be compatible with USB power (5V, 800-500mA). The main problem is that you need some way to connect the USB source to the DC-in jack.

While it is possible to hack together a USB cable and a plug, the cable that I linked is a low-cost solution that doesn't require any cutting and soldering. In addition, it is a Y-cable, with the other end terminating in a mini-usb - this carries the data.

So the main benefit of this cable is that you can plug one end into your computer, and then the other two plugs into your MR-1. Now you can mount the drive and charge the unit -- no AC adapter required (which is almost the size of the MR-1).

The second benefit is that you can plug the MR-1 to an external Li-Ion battery pack. I just happened to have one, and I find it more convenient than the Korg external battery pack. I will still pack along both.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2009, 02:52:20 AM »
Hmm, I sent in my form for the free external battery pack from Korg, but never got it.
Is there another way?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
any 5v source.  Ipod external batteries work well.
I've got a tiny little one that has 5v/6v/7.2v output seletable via a switch.  Its about 1/2 the size of a deck of cards and at 5v outputs 2850mAh.
In a pinch, I can use it to power my Apogee MMP on the 6v setting (2500mAh).  Even has a flashlight built in.
I'm searching for it, but it has no brand name.  If I can find it, i'll post it.  its the best battery I've ever had, bar none.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2009, 08:05:47 AM »
I can't find it..., but this would work (w/a slight modification to the USB cable, replacing w/an M tip)
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Battery-Pack-Lithium-ion-Rechargeable/dp/B000N63AC6

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »
went through all of the pages in this thread (and for pt 1) and didn't see any mention of it, so guessing not. But here it goes anyway, does the MR-1 play flac files (like my iRiver does) ?

This does loook like a nifty little unit though, def keeping my eyes open for one of these......

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
You cannot charge the Korg MR-1 via USB.

Is this really right?  How come the charge icon comes on when I plug in a USB battery?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline RTD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »
Back to the SSD project for the MR1.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~bigsmile/rail/mr1-swap.htm
Looks that someone had done it successfully
Maybe someone can translate this a bit.
cheers

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
went through all of the pages in this thread (and for pt 1) and didn't see any mention of it, so guessing not. But here it goes anyway, does the MR-1 play flac files (like my iRiver does) ?

This does loook like a nifty little unit though, def keeping my eyes open for one of these......

Unfortunately not at this time
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
 I bought my MR-1 in 2007, so I didn't qualify for the free battery pack offer from Korg.  But you can order it online from B&H Photo at
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543019-REG/Korg_BATPACKMR1_4_AA_External_Battery_Pack.html
$15 plus shipping.  There is a 3 week wait though as B&H doesn't carry them in stock.  It's strange that you can buy the battery pack from B&H but not directly from Korg.

I just received my external battery pack from B&H yesterday and have been running a test recording this morning with the MR-1 using the battery pack and 4 fully-charged UniRoss Hybrio NiMH 2100 mAh hybrid AA rechargeable batteries.  It's been recording for 4 hours now and still drawing power from the battery pack.  Impressive!  More juice than I'll probably ever need.  I had been using a small external Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery pack and not too happy with it.  The MR-1 would frequently cut off the external Li-ion pack and start drawing power from the internal battery less than an hour into the recording even though the battery pack was fully charged.  I missed the entire encore of a Cure concert last year because the MR-1 had cut off power from the battery pack and drained all the power from its internal battery.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:35:57 PM by desertsky »
DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »
  The MR-1 would frequently cut off the external Li-ion pack and start drawing power from the internal battery less than an hour into the recording even though the battery pack was fully charged.  I missed the entire encore of a Cure concert last year because the MR-1 had cut off power from the battery pack and drained all the power from its internal battery.

This is EXACTLY why i got rid of mine, lost parts of three shows and called it quits.
Used the Korg 4 AA external battery pack for the last show i recorded (MR-1) and it worked fine.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25:19 PM »
what tip where you guys using?  I have the radioshack adaptaplug B, and have not had one problem yet.  Im running a VR(7-18V in - 9v out and 5v out)  i am running two DVD batteries (9v 5400mah) in parallel in. 5v out of the vr box with adaptaplug B into the korg.  This is in my gear bag, so not a stealth situation, not a lot of movement in there either.

im just wondering if it could have been your li bat and tip?
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »
Hi BJ,

The other thing with Li-Ion batteries, if this is one of those USB packs, I think you need a high current out of the pack. In guysonic's tests, he showed that the draw is normally under 500 mA, but can sometimes spike to 800 mA. If I understood correctly what he wrote, if the battery doesn't output enough current, the MR-1 will switch to the internal battery.

desertsky, I tried using rechargables but they didn't work. I thought that because the total voltage of rechargables is < 5V (ie., 4 x 1.2V = 4.8V), that it won't properly power the MR-1? Am I off, or is there something about these "hybrid" batteries that you are using?

Ted

what tip where you guys using?  I have the radioshack adaptaplug B, and have not had one problem yet.  Im running a VR(7-18V in - 9v out and 5v out)  i am running two DVD batteries (9v 5400mah) in parallel in. 5v out of the vr box with adaptaplug B into the korg.  This is in my gear bag, so not a stealth situation, not a lot of movement in there either.

im just wondering if it could have been your li bat and tip?
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »

desertsky, I tried using rechargables but they didn't work. I thought that because the total voltage of rechargables is < 5V (ie., 4 x 1.2V = 4.8V), that it won't properly power the MR-1? Am I off, or is there something about these "hybrid" batteries that you are using?

If you go to fmaderjr's post in this thread back on January 26th, he says he was also able to get about 6 hours total recording time using the external AA pack w/ Sanyo Eneloop 2000 mAh AA batteries.  The Sanyo Eneloops are the same hybrid low self-discharge NiMH type rechargeables as the Hybrio's I tested.   So there must be something about these newer batteries.

Found some info about the hybrid batteries on Wikipedia.  The article say voltage with the hybrids is more stable than other traditional NiMH rechargeables.  That could explain why they seem to work well with the MR-1.  There certainly doesn't seem to be an issue with the total voltage being 4.8V.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery

It is generally claimed that low self-discharge NiMH batteries retain 90% of their charge after six months, 85% after a year and 70% after two years, when stored at 20 °C (68 °F).

Low self-discharge NiMH batteries typically have a significantly lower internal resistance than traditional NiMH batteries. This has a number of desirable effects especially for high-drain applications:

• Voltage is more stable (less load- and capacity-dependent). This can have a beneficial effect on runtime in electronic devices, which typically have a cut-off voltage per battery that is not much lower than NiMH's nominal voltage. (However, this can also cause some devices with battery status indicators to overestimate the remaining capacity of a nearly drained cell.)
  • Reduced heat buildup when the battery is quickly charged or discharged
  • Higher efficiency
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:10:32 AM by desertsky »
DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline sgordo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
Sorry if this was discussed previously but I couldn't really find a clear answer.

What are people doing as far as setting levels on the MR-1 in low profile situations?  It seems like accessing the gain through the menu function could be difficult.  Is it? 

I would be running line in.

Thanks for the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.315 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com