Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Few dumb dat questions, transfers, 44+48, cables! "newbie friendly" =)))  (Read 3563 times)

Offline sullen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Okay a couple questions. I did a little searching. didnt find MUCH at all!

I'm new, bear with me.
Running an M1, and going to be using a D7 for the transfers.

Taped my first shows over the weekend! Sound great!
Few things I am unsure of before I do transfers and more tapes!

Question 1:
Before i make my next tape, im wondering what the advantage would be of Taping in 48khz vs 44.1khz?
Is there even a point to this as it has to go back to 44 to go on cd? CD/WAV is my goal, no flac/shn etc.

Question 2:
WHAT is so bad about the CoreSound 7pins? Everyone bashes, noone gives a reason, im curious?

Question 3:
What is the deal with some 7pins having only one Coax output?
Also some soundcards only have one input?

Some 7pins have 2 Coax outputs...
Some soundcards have 2 coax ins....

Running a soundcard with a single Coax in, and or, a single coax output on the 7pin.
Does this give true stereo transfers?
Or do I need the 2 coax out > 2 coax in?

((looking into possibly the nightengale or iopen cobra (Single Coax input on the card it seems?)
.... BUT will it sound WORLDS better if i get an audiophile or delta with L+R coax ins??))

Question 4:
I do not need an active 7pin if all i need to do is DAT >> Soundcard , Correct?

Anyone chooses to answer this mess of questions, I thank you very much in advance!

~ s =))
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Question 2:
WHAT is so bad about the CoreSound 7pins? Everyone bashes, noone gives a reason, im curious?

It is very poorly constructed and can/will damage the 7pin ports on your decks. Do Not buy a 7pin cable that does not utilize the actual sony made 7pin ends...

Question 3:

Running a soundcard with a single Coax in, and or, a single coax output on the 7pin.

((looking into possibly the nightengale or iopen cobra (Single Coax input on the card it seems?)
.... BUT will it sound WORLDS better if i get an audiophile or delta with L+R coax ins??))

There is no 7pin cable with 2 outputs, instead they have 1 input and 1 output. There is no need to have a soundcard with two coax inputs. All of the data is simply carried by one cable. In the analog realm you would want two cables to carry a stereo signal, one for left and one for right, in the digital realm all data is carried on the 1 cable. When you step up to high-resolution digital recording you may use 2 AES cables to carry 24/192 data but for 16/44.1 or 16/48 you only need a single coax cable

Question 4:

Correct

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Question 2:

It is very poorly constructed and can/will damage the 7pin ports on your decks. Do Not buy a 7pin cable that does not utilize the actual sony made 7pin ends...

Question 3:

There is no 7pin cable with 2 outputs, instead they have 1 input and 1 output. There is no need to have a soundcard with two coax inputs. All of the data is simply carried by one cable. In the analog realm you would want two cables to carry a stereo signal, one for left and one for right, in the digital realm all data is carried on the 1 cable. When you step up to high-resolution digital recording you may use 2 AES cables to carry 24/192 data but for 16/44.1 or 16/48 you only need a single coax cable

Question 4:

Correct

tim nailed these.

just want to add that you might want to consider using the same deck for your transfers as you use to record.  If the heads have slightly different alignments between them, you could add unwanted errors/noise into your transfer.  Keep in mind that this is not GUARANTEED to happen, but is merely a possibility.  ymmv.

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
i can't remember, but doen't the m-1 have full size heads as opposed to the 1/2 sized ones on the d7?
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Tim

I believe that the d100,m1, d7, and d8 all have 1/2 sized heads
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
might be right, maybe it's only tascam that has whole heads.  thought sony had a couple that did too.

i didn't check.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
I use a D7 > core sounds 7 pin for transfers and have had no problems whatsoever. I've heard that the core sounds cables are only a problem in the field, since they are kind of flimsy. First I've heard that they can actually damage the ports.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

hexyjones

Some of the AIWA portable decks have full size heads as well...I imagine most of the "brick" type recorders do...

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
I've had a Core Sound 7-pin for about ten years now and I've had no problems, although I only use it for transfers at home. I can see why people who have used one in the field would dislike its construction due to the 7-pin end having exposed pins which could get easily bend in transit or stepped on in the field. At the time when these were constructed I heard that the Sony OEM 7-pin ends were either scarce or expensive for what they are. Oade's 7 pin uses a concealed 7-pin molded end which is ideal for field use.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
The pins on the Core-Sound 7pin cable are ever-so-slightly bigger than the Sony pins which can damage the female 7pin input.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Tim

The pins on the Core-Sound 7pin cable are ever-so-slightly bigger than the Sony pins which can damage the female 7pin input.

what he said

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove

what he said
yup, I stopped using mine when I noticed it was stretching out the pin holes...bad cable
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
Many thanx
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com