Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording gigs: sony Hi MD/iRiver/ipod???  (Read 2906 times)

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
recording gigs: sony Hi MD/iRiver/ipod???
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:11:28 AM »
i currently have a sony mzr55 MD player but i like how the HI MD models allow you to transfer the audio via USB as it saves so much time and hassle. i see the odd torrent over at dime of aud recordings that have used irivers - are these a good method to use?. alternatively, it seems that the HI MD are very popular - what model should i go for if i do?. alternatively how about ipods?, would they work?

any advice would be appreciated

Alex

p.s. this will be my first setup, im planning on getting the church audio cards and 9100 pre-amp. i basically want a starter setup, is it worth just sticking with the sony MZR55 for now?. if/when i finally get my setup, i would like to perhaps record a small pub gig, where i would be allowed to do so...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:35:31 AM by goldenbreast »

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
Re: recording gigs: sony Hi MD/iRiver/ipod???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »
What's your budget?

The iRivers and the NJB3 are pretty popular around here and they work well.

Personally I bought an iRiver for 3 main reasons: price (spent $80), no need to buy media (hi md's for example are pretty expensive down here) and easy file transfer (wich, as you said, is possible with hi md's also).

CA cards > ST9100 > iRiver is a very nice beginner rig.

About ipods, I don't think they will work. Here's the list of recorders that most people use: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,35002.0.html

You could buy the mics + preamp and test with your MD and see if you're happy with the results.

Good luck with that  ;D

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:06:08 PM »
What's your budget?

The iRivers and the NJB3 are pretty popular around here and they work well.

Personally I bought an iRiver for 3 main reasons: price (spent $80), no need to buy media (hi md's for example are pretty expensive down here) and easy file transfer (wich, as you said, is possible with hi md's also).

CA cards > ST9100 > iRiver is a very nice beginner rig.

About ipods, I don't think they will work. Here's the list of recorders that most people use: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,35002.0.html

You could buy the mics + preamp and test with your MD and see if you're happy with the results.

Good luck with that  ;D

cheers for the info. i dont think i could afford to get the recorder aswell at the moment. ive worked out that i can afford the CA setup by the end of the month so reckon i'll try the MZR55 for now...may keep an eye out for a cheap iriver in the future

Offline Jambo2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 07:40:30 AM »
Ipods can record losslessly, I was going to look into making something to attach my mics and battery box with but I didn't bother when I found out that the battery life when recording is very poor because the HDD is spinning all the time.  The situation is probably better however on the flash memory based ipods such as the nano and touch.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:45:09 AM »
One major advantage to getting a MZ-RH1 (High MD) is that it will allow you to transfer your old recordings (made with the MZ-R55) to your computer digitaly via USB. Since the MZ-RH1 is degigned as a field recorder, it shoulg have a better quality pre and adc than any device designed to be an MP3 player. Also, MD/High MD discs make a much better long term storage option than the hard drive of an Ipod/Iriver.

I'd probably upgrade the recorder first, then the mics, since your current recorder always ads atrac3 compression to your recordings.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »
I have an RH1.  It records very well.  The limitation has been the mics.  I have gotten a very nice chorale recording with the RH1 and the MM-HLSC-1 mics (Sennheiser caps).  I also have the SP-CMC-4U mics.  They are both very good and give me good results.  They are not professional quality, but, buddy, they are damned good and will amaze you.

As for the Hi MD/iRiver/ipod question: it is like Ford/Chevy/Plymouth.  A lot of personal taste affects your decision.  They all work and work well.  I like the Hi-MD because that is what I have.  If you do get one the is an "IMAC" LiIon battery attachment for it which will give you the ability to record ~20 discs without a recharge.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:19:08 PM »
ipods, however, do not have a any standard connector (besides headphone - I'm sure Apple considered it too)

irivers are affordable, search ebay (here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/iriver-iHP-120-mp3-player-digital-jukebox-ipod-ihp120_W0QQitemZ170149318204QQihZ007QQcategoryZ114622QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

never been into MD, don't like sony

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »
I'd probably upgrade the recorder first, then the mics, since your current recorder always ads atrac3 compression to your recordings.

Nice point.

goldenbreast, what kind of concerts you planning to record? Mostly loud or quiet stuff?

If you won't have the money to buy everything, depending on what kind of show you plan to tape, you could buy an iRiver (around $120) and the Church Audio cards + bbox setup ($160, if i remember right), that would be $280 for mics + recorder (of course you can spend less if you buy them used), instead of spending $290 in the Church audio mics + ST-9100 preamp only.

Of course that it will work only if you plan to record loud shows.

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 05:11:11 PM »
cheers for the advice guys...i'll keep you posted on any developments...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com