Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hard Copies of your Digital Masters (Storage)  (Read 7183 times)

Offline purple-nation

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hard Copies of your Digital Masters (Storage)
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
The only thing I don’t like about flash drive recorders (like the Edirol, Zoom, Sony) is that after the show you don’t have a “hard copy” Master like the old days when you would have a Cassette, Mini Disc or DAT that you could hold in your hand and say “this is IT” !!  So, I have kind of made my own Hard Copies.  I like it, and it feels “safe & secure” ... if you know what I mean.

What I use is :

AVERY 8163 Label
SUPER JEWEL BOX Case
SONYDVD-R Media

I put the Ticket Stub in the Case.  I have all my Masters done like this (even the ones that I recorded on Cassette, Nini Disc or DAT).  I like it.  On the DVD itself is the mastered, transferred and tracked FLAC Files, Pictures of the show (if available), Text File, MD5 checksums, and the untouched WAV files.

Does anyone else have a "neat" what of storing their Masters?  I like discussion like this !

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Hard Copies of your Digital Masters (Storage)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:07:38 AM »
dvd-r doesn't last forever.  redundancy is key.  I stopped even burning to dvd.  multiple hard drives is all I do now.  I listen via my server (hard drives) so no need for an actual copy.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »
Bit perfect digital has taken some of the unique-ness out of "Masters", but I do hear what you are saying...  there is a nice feeling when you hold the physical media... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »
dvd-r doesn't last forever.  redundancy is key.  I stopped even burning to dvd.  multiple hard drives is all I do now.  I listen via my server (hard drives) so no need for an actual copy.
I have more confidence in a DVD lasting longer than any spinning platter HDD.
If it really matters there are medical grade dvd discs with 100 years lifetime and in decent storage I'd bet they would last longer.
Just need to keep a spare dvd drive with your masters since the technology will be dead and they will be using something new by than :p
Albeit by that point there won't be SATA/PATA drive connections and USB will be gone as well.
Redundancy is key though, as of now I keep both HDD and dvd media for mine. (and archive.org for the bands that allow it)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:20:23 AM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

runonce

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
I have already had many untouched DVDs become unreadable... :(

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »

I have many dvdr discs that I burned and put away that are unreadable.  They were *never* used and just sat in a closet for a few years and are useless.

I don't trust dvdr media at all

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »
I share everything I record.  That is the redundancy I need.

Like Gordon, I use multiple hard drive copies.  I spin them up only when I am backing up to them.  But, if I lose the master, it is all good - the show is in circulation.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »

I have many dvdr discs that I burned and put away that are unreadable.  They were *never* used and just sat in a closet for a few years and are useless.

I'm with Gordon et al on this one, I've got a rotation of drives that I backup in triplicate.

Where as even my Verbatum CDRs from mid-98 or so have developed some rot in a handful of instances (I'm actually up to about mid-99 as the last safe point where I don't have any CDR rot). I'm going through periodically and trying to copy all of the stuff off to save it now. My VHS tapes lasted longer than that...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
I have 2 HDD copies (on-site and off-site) of the masters and flacs and a DVD copy of masters (just cause I still have DVDs that need to be used).
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »

I hear what you guys are saying, I just can't agree completely about the reliability rap you give DVDR media.
I guess I just have been the exceptional case; as I have cds that are 16 years old that are still readable. ( I probably still have a working HDD that old too so...)
coincidentally they are mostly verbatims. Now if only my cd/dvd drives would last that long. (well my 4x plextor still is rocking but it can't read dvd's  :-X )
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »

I don't expect hard drives to last that long either.  that's why I have multiple copies and can easily add new drives every few years to be the "main backup".  then the old ones are backups of backups.  plus it's easier and more convenient to access the shows via hard drive than dvd.  not to mention much faster to copy/move files.

I actually have all my masters on three drives.  one that is in my server for listening and then two backups in a fire proof safe.  and as rory pointed out circulating everything is another way to know you will never loose anything.  it would be a much bigger pain in the ass to get everything back that way though.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
circulating everything is another way to know you will never loose anything.  it would be a much bigger pain in the ass to get everything back that way though.

Indeed...  I lost one of my Stereolab masters and now I'm unable to find a Seeder...  Oh well... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
I have 3 copies of my masters across three hard drives.  Consistency in copying everything is key.  Once I get home from a show, I copy the wavs off the sd card to my D drive, then E drive then external drive once I finish mastering it for playback.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
I have DVD-R copies of a lot of my recordings, but stopped burning to optical media a couple years ago and don't expect them to last.  My current setup is:

• Internal HDDs, onsite.  Primary storage.
  • Internal HDDs_Bkp, onsite.  Mirror of HDDs, nightly.  Protects against HDDs failure.
  • External HDD, onsite (but offline).  Unscheduled / ad hoc updates.  Protects against simultaneous failure of HDDs and HDDs_Bkp (e.g. power surge trashing my entire PC).
  • External HDD, offsite.  Updated quarterly.  Protects against localized catastrophic event (e.g. house burns down).
  • Shared copies with friends / family / fellow fans and music lovers, obviously offsite.  Protects against damn near any conceivable event.  If an event occurred that rendered even this option inadequate and unavailable, I'd have far bigger concerns!

For anyone considering setting up redundant HDDs, it's easy to do.  No need for RAID (in fact, for most consumer use I recommend against it).  Here's an old, but still relevant, thread:  Reasonable Redundancy without RAID.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:45:22 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
upload them to LMA or a blog for others to enjoy. As J Hudson, Seedsman, says "preservation through dissemination"

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com