Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to rip entire CD collection  (Read 5197 times)

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Need to rip entire CD collection
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »
Right now I have a lot of my music on my computer in various forms of mp3s, but I want to get my collection on my computer in FLAC/lossless. I have a Macbook and I was thinking of getting an external cd drive since I will be ripping 100-200 discs and that seemed like a lot of stress to put on the internal cd drive in my laptop. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:00:59 PM by JBou »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Suggestions for external CD drive? - Need to rip entire CD collection
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »
I've done about that many on my macbook and it's fine so far. Granted, at this stage, I'm not trying to resell mine (if it does, I'll just replace it) so maybe thats a concern, but I'd at least do that.

Oh, and I suggest using XLD for the ripping. (you didn't specify so I thought I'd toss that out there).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
Hmm. Ok. And thanks for the XLD tip.

I'm open to hear what anyone else has to say! TIA

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:26:53 AM »
I am on a PC so cost might be different for a MAC. But a replacement DVD/CD burner for my laptop on Ebay runs less then $15. A new Ext DVD/CD burner can be had less then $20 from Buy.com or tiger direct. So either option is not really going to cost you much. I know on my Desktops as soon as a DVD drive show any indication of problems I just order a new one. Not worth the effort to trouble shoot for a new burner available in the $15-20 for desktop. 

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
I'll echo just using the internal drive.  I rip via iTunes using error correction into ALAC.  It's worked fine for me.  You can set the preferences such that upon putting a CD in, it automatically rips, then ejects, making it easy to just get a stack a work through them. 

Hope that helps!

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Once the holidays come around I'll have to muster up the motivation to actually start the process...

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
Just use the internal drive. I can't count how many CD's I've burned on mine but it far exceeds 200........maybe more like 2000-5000. If not, there are plenty of $35.00 or less options out there.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
Re: Need to rip entire CD collection
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
I'm looking to start this process soon. I plan on using XLD to rip discs and xACT to tag on my macbook pro. Should I keep the WAV files or just the FLACs? and what level of FLAC should I use?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
ARe you ripping commercial disks or cdrs?  If commercial disks, I'd echo the recommendation to rip using itunes into ALAC (apple lossless compression) -- this will significantly automate the process (tagging/etc.) and will provide you with bit-perfect copies of your source disks.

If CDRs, XLD probably does make more sense.  Since you're using a mac, I'd consider ripping everything to apple lossless anyway, as it'll be a lot more convenient to play back/etc.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Mostly commercial cds. I currently have most of the music on my computer as mp3s but figured it was time to upgrade since I have upgraded my playback a little bit. And thanks for the tip. I'm not trying to be difficult, this is just my thought process: I'm not necessarily against using ALAC, but I'm wary of using it bc then the won't be compatible with anything other than Apple products. I realize FLAC would be more work, but I thought it might make my digital collection more versatile for the years to come.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
JBou -- All good points -- One interesting observation, it's easy to convert between apple lossless and flac using xld (or a variety of other programs) -- I just went through this with my flacs when hooking my uncle up with a (more) robust storage system for his new imac (and giving him a bunch of music for it) -- I was also surprised to find that ALAC is much better represented in the windows and android world than I thought -- windows media player can play them natively and my buddy's android phone liked 'em too.

So, perhaps the convenience of having an all in one solution for ripping and tagging your commercial cds is worth the potential next step of converting to flac via xld if necessary.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »
it's easy to convert between apple lossless and flac using xld (or a variety of other programs)

I was also surprised to find that ALAC is much better represented in the windows and android world than I thought -- windows media player can play them natively and my buddy's android phone liked 'em too.

I wasn't aware of either of these points. I thought if I converted to ALAC I would be stuck with that and would have to do it again if I ever wanted FLAC copies. In that case, ALAC might be the way to go. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
No worries -- I really didn't want to LIKE apple lossless, but I ran out of counter-arguments . . .

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
When converting to ALAC or FLAC, should I keep a copy of the WAV files? or just the ALAC/FLAC copy?

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
not sure what you gain by keeping the wav, since flac and alac are bit-perfect (and would likely contain metadata that's not savable on the wav)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com