Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Feedback squeals on recordings, how to fix?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Feedback squeals on recordings, how to fix?
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
Subject says almost it all.  I'm talking about the high pitched squeal when instruments/mics/other equipment are close and produce feedback.  I've got a couple shows with horrible feedback that I need fixed.  For both shows I ran in the audience, onstage and from the SBD and all have the feedback so I can't simply bump up one source at the occurances.  Has anyone had any luck fixing this issue?  I know it cant really be fixed but maybe there's a way to make it "less terrible."  Of course I could also go ahead and upload them with a disclaimer but I'd like to do what I can.  Any help is appreciated.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Feedback squeals on recordings, how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »
I made a post in this forum probably a year ago or so with screenshots on how to do it in both izotope rx and audacity. The gist is you find the section which has offending frequencies, find what those are, find the harmonic siblings (e.g. feedback at 500hz? check 1k, 2k, 4k, etc for lesser reproductions) and then do a notched EQ filter for just those frequencies for just that time period. Knock off say 15db or so and while you'll still hear feedback, if it's just a 1 or 2 second blast, the listening shouldn't hear distortion where you did the EQ.

and yes, this works, I've done it before. I have to really want to salvage something, but it's very doable.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
Another vote for Izotope Rx here.

Don't do what one helpful uploader did to the Led Zep O2 show - edit in a repeat of a previous section in place of the feedback afflicted section. And thus edit out a change of key  :o
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
^ I'll check into this isotope program.  Would never misrepresent the music like that.  I seem to recall some old dead shows that had a cut in Playin' and were patched with another show...
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
The main advantage of RX is that it will help you find & select the harmonics very easily, but the overall process is the same regardless of where you do it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com