Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are There Any Sonic Differences In DAW Software?  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Are There Any Sonic Differences In DAW Software?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
Oppps... took too long to save....

I don't happen to agree that excessive bit-rates and sampling rates make as much of a difference as some people perceive. The playback equipment, room shape, listeners frame of mind weigh much more on the perceived sound than the bit-rate/ samples rates used.

Back in the old days, 1980's etc... when digital first started creeping into more widespread audio use, things like 8-12 bit samplers and delays sounded god awful. But, with modern at a minimum 44.1 kHz, 16 bit gear that horrible low bit rate sound is no longer heard. At least by me...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chuck

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
Sorry about the multiple posts I was eventually getting to the actual question asked.

I work in audio, I've used most of the major and much of the minor DAW editing software over the years. Though I haven't actually done repeatable tests, I think it's safe to say that most modern DAW editing software out there doesn't add audible distortions to the audio during processing. Unless, of course you do something wrong, like add too much gain and get digital clipping or you intentionally add distortions.

The over sampling used when processing digital EQ for example, using modern software is a good thing. As it help ensure that that type of distortion is processed under the best possible conditions.

Does WaveLab DAW processing sound better than than editing using Audacity? I can't say for a scientific certainty either way.
But the linear difference is much less than the difference than running the same signals through old analog gear.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 03:35:54 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more about being pragmatic, although for some reason that position feels at odds with the fact that I'm a professional engineer.   ;D

Applied engineering is determining the most optimal compromise of all applicable idealized systems!  What could be more pragmatic?  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more about being pragmatic, although for some reason that position feels at odds with the fact that I'm a professional engineer.   ;D

Applied engineering is determining the most optimal compromise of all applicable idealized systems!  What could be more pragmatic?  ;)

Well, ever since becoming a taper, Ive subsvribed to the concept that if I can't hear a sonic difference on a macro scale then I really don't care much about the particulars on a micro scale.  That concept doesn't translate well in say chemical engineering....lol

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
I know people have their software preferences based mainly on features and/or workflow tendenices, but I've always wondered if there have been either empirical or anecdotal comps done to determine if any of the software's processing has been shown to affect sound quality any better or worse than another package? 

To perhaps clarify this question a bit, I'm not talking about whether one package has a better sounding set of special features, like effects packages...say reverb or whatever.  I'm talking about some of the basic functions we do here on probably close to 100% of our recordings...dithering, normalizing, and for some people EQ.

They all sound the same when performing the typical functions you're asking about. This has been discussed at nauseating length on the Ableton forum after a number of famous producers complained about Live's sound quality. Here's a link to an interesting and informative test between Live & Logic, performed by a professional mastering engineer:

http://tarekith.com/sound-quality-live-versus-logic/
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
IDK, here's a link that will allow you to compare SRC of many different DAW setups and software.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Chuck

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »
Good reading. Thanks Digi and Matt.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com