Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sharing MP3 sourced recordings  (Read 3622 times)

Offline groundhog2

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
Sharing MP3 sourced recordings
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »
So I sort of gave one of my zoom recorders to a musician a few months ago & he's been recording stuff in mp3 format. :facepalm:

I stressed to him to start recording in at least 44.1k wav.

Anyway there's some really good stuff he sent me but it's all mp3.  Kind of looking for suggestions for transferring. 

I was thinking.....mp3 > audacity > wav > flac

Or should I just keep the files as mp3?

Is it okay to seed a mp3 file torrent at etree?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Sharing MP3 sourced recordings
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
I don't think audacity will edit mp3s, will it?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
I don't think audacity will edit mp3s, will it?

it will. it will edit all sorts of stuff.

Anyway there's some really good stuff he sent me but it's all mp3.  Kind of looking for suggestions for transferring. 

I was thinking.....mp3 > audacity > wav > flac

Or should I just keep the files as mp3?

Is it okay to seed a mp3 file torrent at etree?

etree is anti-mp3 so you're sunk there.

Consider it a gift and keep it to yourself. I have some band demos and they too were recorded in lossy formats and I just kept them as a gift from the band (which is really what they are, I'm not sure stuff like that is intended to be shared with the entire planet).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »
I personally have no qualms with MP3 if that is all that is available - something is better than nothing...

As for ETREE, while MP3 is supposed to be forbidden, I would have no issue with MP3s being seeded there if it was made known clearly that the files were MP3 and that was all that was available...   

Or you could burn the MP3s to CDR, EAC the CDR to 16/44, and lie about it...   :P

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline groundhog2

• Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »
So far what I've done is import the mp3 to Audacity and exported as a wav file.  Not sure if this is the best course of action or not. ???

I'm quite certain these mp3's are the only source.  They sound very good and the playing is top quality.  Some insanely funky stuff!

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
recorded in mp3?  Keep them in mp3.  Don't transcode to WAV.  DIME will let you share it as an mp3 if it was recorded that way and not blown up to a WAV.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jagraham

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
Audacity edits mp3s, I'm actually doing that right now.  However, it takes a lot of time to load even compared to 24bit WAV.

There is no point in mp3 converted to flac, it's just a waste of space.  That is unless you happen to have a playback system that can do FLAC but not MP3.  Whatever the process, just be sure the final files reflect the bitrate of the originals.  No need to mess up the "pool" of shows with mp3 presented as flac.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
One nuance that I don't think has been harped on is that when you edit the mp3 in audacity, to finish, you encode that result to mp3 on the export. just think about that for a minute...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
it's my understanding that converting from mp3>flac>mp3 will result in a final mp3 that is inferior to the original mp3 source.  SO, converting an mp3 to flac is doubly bad in that the flac conversion only makes for a bigger, indentical-sounding file that, if subjected to lossy compression (re-compressed to an mp3) will sound worse than the original.

Offline groundhog2

• Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
Thanks for all the infos everyone ;).  I'll be sure to just track the original mp3 and share as such. 

Anyone know of any mac software that'll track mp3's?  I'll look around when I have a minute tomorrow but just figured I'd ask.  Free is key.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »
it's my understanding that converting from mp3>flac>mp3 will result in a final mp3 that is inferior to the original mp3 source.  SO, converting an mp3 to flac is doubly bad in that the flac conversion only makes for a bigger, indentical-sounding file that, if subjected to lossy compression (re-compressed to an mp3) will sound worse than the original.

I would say the ooposite though Darrin. At least for my Amadeus Pro software, anything you do other than editing metadata results in a re- encoding to mp3 if you do any editing and then save to the mp3 format.

So unless you are just going to spread the show just as it was recorded -- untracked, no normalization, etc -- you'd be better of editing the master mp3 and then saving as a 16/44 flac. That way, assuming you listen as flac or as flac converted to wav, you'd have only one mp3 encoding -- the original encoding at the time of recording. If you edit and save back to mp3, you'll be stuck with two levels of mp3 encoding, the first during recording and the second following your editing of the master (tracking, normaliztion, etc).

Maybe other software will allow tracking without a re-encoding step, but I doubt it.  And I think if you track and normalize, you definitely would be stuck with a second encoding to mp3 if you save back to mp3.

Now if we're expecting people will want to listen in mp3, they will have a second encoding of mp3 if they convert the shared flacs back to mp3. Only way to avoid that is to share direct copies of the master mp3 recording, but people will probably want a tracked show (if not normalized), so they are stuck with 2 levels of mp3 encoding no matter what.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
Thanks for all the infos everyone ;).  I'll be sure to just track the original mp3 and share as such. 

Anyone know of any mac software that'll track mp3's?  I'll look around when I have a minute tomorrow but just figured I'd ask.  Free is key.

what you're looking for is an mp3 file splitter, not a tracking program per se. Small nuance. One will likely re-encode the file, the other just segments the existing encoding.

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »
Mp3directcut is great for splitting mp3s without re-encoding

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

Not sure if it works on a mac though

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com