Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best External Hard Drive?  (Read 7998 times)

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Best External Hard Drive?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
Ah ok. Are 2 TB drives ok in terms of reliability? It likely could have changed as I don't keep up to date on this stuff as much, but about a year ago, it seemed most people on here thought drives became a lot more unreliable above 1 TB.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
I've had 7x 2tb wd green drives running in raid configurations 24x7 for the past two plus years without failure (knock on wood).  So my personal experiences have been good.  Have had more than my fair share of 500gb, 1tb and 1.5tb drives fail on me tho.

FWIW

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
OWC - Other World Computing sells external enclosures for build your own kits as well as pre-built solutions.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/enclosure-kits/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:26:23 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »
I had to get a new SATA laptop drive for my Dad's laptop* when I visited him last month. Got a retail boxed WD Black because it still has a 5 year warranty. The WD Blues have a 2 year and I'm not sure what the WD Greens have. In my own builds I prefer WD Velociraptor 10K-RPM drives which last time I checked still had a 5year warranty. Check which color drive you're getting if shopping Newegg/TigerDirect/Fry's etc as the warranty varies by color and model (Velociraptor, Caviar, etc).

That said I've had good luck with everything except one Hitachi DeskStar in an IBM laptop which died an unexpected, and extremely loud and smokey, death. There was a reason they were referred to as DeathStars. The new Hitachis may be reliable but I stick with what I've had good luck with.

I'll also ditto the comments about getting a bare drive and an external enclosure.

* replacement was needed due to him picking up malware, not from a drive failure - easier for me to just replace the drive, reload the OS and be done with it
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:53:03 AM by flipp »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »

I think the best option is to buy an external enclosure and bare HDD separately.  I use this enclosure for my off-site backups:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

I wanted a solid case since I transport it regularly, and a good fan to keep things cool during long, sustained writes on a periodic basis.  If you don't need both eSata and USB 2.0, there's also a pure USB 3.0 option, I think.

Great choice Brian.  I have 2 of these are part my own redundancy solution.  Never had an issue with them.   That bigass fan is not that loud either.    :coolguy: 

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »
I've always liked Western Digital HDDs.

What model WD drives do you use for your redundancy - Black/Green/Blue?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 01:47:19 AM »
What model WD drives do you use for your redundancy - Black/Green/Blue?

Hmmm...had to go and check, as I didn't recall offhand.  I have a mix of Blue from 2008* and Black from 2010.  I also have a 2.5" Green for non-critical portable backup of my laptop, though I don't use it much anymore since I'm not traveling for work much these days.

* As an aside, 2008 was one of the few times I took advantage of WD's warranty exchange policy.  Two of the Blue HDDs I bought in 2007 both bombed within the first year, within days of one another.  Turns out I got caught up in a bad production run.  Thankfully, they didn't die suddenly, and I was able to transfer all my data when the replacements arrived...before returning the originals.  But even had they died suddenly, I would've been safe -- the two Blues weren't part of the same redundant pair, but rather one each from two different pairs.  Thankfully, at some point before 2008 I got nervous about getting hosed by a bad production run -- if memory serves, due to a recommendation from someone here on TS -- and started using Blue and Black in my pairs, rather than 2 Blues from the same manufacturing time window.  Food for thought if you're building up your redundancy plan.

Also, at the time of the two Blue failures, I wasn't diligently using an off-site backup.  I can tell you, I found it nerve-wracking to know all my critical data existed in only a single place for the ~2 days it took for my replacements to arrive.  Needless to say, it motivated me to start performing more diligent off-site backups!

That said, don't let the bad production run turn you off off WD.  Every HDD manufacturer has had issues at one point or another.  The key -- regardless of HDD manufacturer -- is developing a redundancy strategy that won't come back to bite you in the event of a problem.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

Also, at the time of the two Blue failures, I wasn't diligently using an off-site backup.  I can tell you, I found it nerve-wracking to know all my critical data existed in only a single place for the ~2 days it took for my replacements to arrive.  Needless to say, it motivated me to start performing more diligent off-site backups!

Probably the #1 thing people take for granted:  What if my house burns to the ground and both copies of my data are in there? 

I store extra copies of my stuff at a different location from my home.  Even if I had a 2 bay NAS server, with the 2nd bay mirroring the 1st, I'd still make a 3rd copy for an offsite location.  That's how you're suppose to do it. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:23:25 PM by spyder9 »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
That is a great idea to use two different levels of drives from the same MFG. I've had 2 drives I bought at the same time die within weeks of each other.

Good way to start at least.

At this point I usually have 1 drive die, and then order a single replacement so I'm not getting drives from the same batch.

I pretty much just use the WD Greens.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
USB 2.0 is Slllloooowwww for drives this large.

I like eSata a lot.  eSata and usb3.0 options tend to drive the cost per GB up quite a lot.

For backups, using bare drives and plugging them into an open dock is one of my favorite approaches.

Extensively testing and burning in your drives before use is critical.  Slow interfaces like usb 2.0 make that very time consuming.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
Extensively testing and burning in your drives before use is critical.

FWIW, I've never extensively tested or "burned in" my HDDs before use.  I occasionally run basic tests on a new  HDD to confirm it's in working order, but nothing beyond that.  (And I don't even know what "burning in" means.)  I don't believe I've suffered any ill effects as a result.  YMMV.

I suppose extensive testing might help weed out a bad HDD arriving from the manufacturer with known, existing issues.  But I figure whether my HDD bombs 5 years from now or next week (due to a problem I might have identified during extensive testing), my redundancy strategy should have me covered in either instance.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
USB 2.0 is Slllloooowwww for drives this large.

I like eSata a lot.  eSata and usb3.0 options tend to drive the cost per GB up quite a lot.

For backups, using bare drives and plugging them into an open dock is one of my favorite approaches.

Extensively testing and burning in your drives before use is critical.  Slow interfaces like usb 2.0 make that very time consuming.

The OP's on a mac, which generally allows (excluding NAS) a choice between FW800, FW400 and USB 2 on the recent machines or between Thunderbolt and USB 3 on the current models, eSata is not an option.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
Thanks for all your advice,

A lot of this is over my head. (I'm just an old taper.)

I will also ask at the MAC Super Store in San Luis Obispo.

I was looking through the B&H catalog the other night. Anyone have any advice on 'G' Hard drives?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
Thanks for all your advice,

A lot of this is over my head. (I'm just an old taper.)

I will also ask at the MAC Super Store in San Luis Obispo.

I was looking through the B&H catalog the other night. Anyone have any advice on 'G' Hard drives?

As I mentioned earlier I'm using a G Drive on a Mac for my primary external drive. It's a 3 TB drive connected via FW800, no issues very satisfied with it so far and it works great with Time Machine.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
Thanks DigiGal. I must have missed that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com