Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio ProFire 610 for DAT transfers?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
M-Audio ProFire 610 for DAT transfers?
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »
Can anyone tell me if this piece would do the trick for transferring DAT's to PC?  Is there something in an external card that is better or the current gold standard for this type of thing? 

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire610.html

Thanks...

runonce

Re: M-Audio ProFire 610 for DAT transfers?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
If you have a recorder with a digital input - just use that.

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »
I have definitely considered this but the extra step of then having to transfer from the card rather than just haing it on your drive puts me off a bit.

The other thing I liked when I had an Audiophile 24/96 card before was that I could set up CD wave on a timer so the file was the same length as what was on the tape. 

Anyways, M-Audio has always been known to be reliable and bit perfect so it will likely do the trick even if it has a lot more on it than I really need.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
I have definitely considered this but the extra step of then having to transfer from the card rather than just haing it on your drive puts me off a bit.

You can always produce a checksum on the card before you transfer it to the computer and re-check once the files have been copied over. It's certainly not much different than recording in the field and then transferring the files later.

Sure seems like an easy solution that frees up the funds for other (absolutely necessary) gear purchases in the future.   
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

runonce

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »

You can always produce a checksum on the card before you transfer it to the computer and re-check once the files have been copied over. It's certainly not much different than recording in the field and then transferring the files later.

Sure seems like an easy solution that frees up the funds for other (absolutely necessary) gear purchases in the future.

Agree - and for 16 bit files - assuming the card is big enough - is there any reason to move them? Can't they just be edited on the card?

An 8GB card is probably more than enough for round trip DAT archiving.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com