Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Editing first m10 recording on MAC Tips and advice needed  (Read 2904 times)

Offline nicolaidenmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Editing first m10 recording on MAC Tips and advice needed
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
So, recorded first gig with M10 and I'm disappointed!

Recording level 2
Manual record settings
No Low cut filter

Sitting on second row centre, cinema style seats, Bryan's speaker just in front of me and the person in front of me.

Recorder placed between my legs, lying on my seat with mics facing the back back of the seat which was in front of me.

Recording is "wolly" and bas heavy. Needs bas reduction and some mid and treble added.

Using Audacity, what stages should I go through to improve the sound? (UPDATE: I found the bas/treble cut and boost feature in audacity, however, I would like to boost the "body" of the acoustic guitar. How do I add midrange?)

Step by step guide appreciated.

http://www.ng-translations.dk/Bryan%20Adams%202013%20TS%20sample.mp3

Alos, the recording levels (meter) of the internals seemed a little uneven at times, however, still much better than my ECM 719 mic.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Editing first m10 recording on MAC Tips and advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »

Recorder placed between my legs, lying on my seat with mics facing the back back of the seat which was in front of me.

That was your problem. Get the mics up high.

The best way to test if your recording is going to sound good is LISTEN where your mics are. If it sounds muddy...it will turn out muddy. Not much you can do now, unfortunately.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Marshall7

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »
Like Mike said...write this one off to experience.  And get some external mics.

Offline nicolaidenmark

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »

Well, to my ears, cutting bass in audacity and adding some treble helps a lot. I don't won't to write it off and believe that that is what post processing is for?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »

Well, to my ears, cutting bass in audacity and adding some treble helps a lot. I don't won't to write it off and believe that that is what post processing is for?

To an extent it is, I agree.

There are limitations at which post production does well, especially without introducing other problems (due to digital artifacts related to EQ processes or other items), thats really what the first two replies were alluding to.

Some rules of thumb I have for 2ch editing are as follows:
1) broad swaths of soft EQ are almost always ok. (so say; a +2db in a gentile bell shape between 500hz and 10khz).
2) narrow "surgical" edits in EQ can be ok or very problematic (so say a +3db between 500hz and 550hz).
3) It's rather uncommon that you'll be able to bring out more of one instrument without adversely affecting a second one, as most instruments share similar frequency bands.

On #3 specifically: you end up trading one instrument poorly represented for an improvement there, but a detrimental effect on other instruments. It's a trade off, there are no easy fixes there. For #2, the reason this could be good or bad is entirely dependent upon your playback. I keep a number of headphones handy (hideously expensive, cheapies, and stuff in between). When I do corrective EQ, I'll listen on my standard set, and then test drive the edits with my other listening setups and finally in my car and on other speakers. If it sounds good everywhere, then I've made improvements, if not, I need to really think about what went wrong. That listening is a skill set that takes practice.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Marshall7

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »

I don't think post processing's purpose is to replace proper gear and location.  It might improve it some, but you know what they say about polishing a turd.

adrianf74

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
2nd row centre recording most shows is the worst place to be because the bass has a "doubling effect" where everything sounds really boomy.  Add to the fact that your deck was "low" adds a "muddy sound" to things.  Invest in some "inexpensive" external mics and a battery box (such as the CA-11 Series II omni bundle that Chris Church/Church Audio has for $120 right now) and things will look up.  Mics should be up high as well. :)

As Marshall7 just said... can't polish a turd.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 02:29:18 AM »
I, too, agree to get some Church Audio mics and a battery box/preamp. your recordings will improve drastically ;) I mean, look at me, I own a SHITLOAD OF GEAR, including schoeps, and I 100% wholeheartedly agree that the CA14 mics/9100 preamp is EASILY the best bang for your buck and sound better than mics costing much more than the CA14s do ;) As always, YMMV ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nicolaidenmark

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 04:10:06 AM »
But I am in Denmark, so buying from Chris will be shit expensive..., right? Customs and all.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
Ditto on what others have said about external mikes.  There has to be some microphone manufacturers in Europe that offer similar products.  Seriously, invest in a battery box and a pair of microphones.  Otherwise, you will likely never be pleased with the M10.   The internal mikes on the M10 are mainly for journalists, not recording loud concerts. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »
But I am in Denmark, so buying from Chris will be shit expensive..., right? Customs and all.

contact him and see, even with VAT on top of it, I don't think it will be bad. The alternative is a set of DPA 4060 series.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
There are also Soundman mics which are made in Europe.   http://www.soundman.de/en
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com