Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Never ending clapper!

(1/1)

tomy01:
I recently recorded a concert about 20 rows from the left stage monitor, not between the monitors (stage right / stage left).  Anyway a womwen one row in front of me about 5 seats down to the left clapped just about all the songs never ending.  If I put earbuds in I can distictly hear the clapping in my left bud but if I remove and only use the right side it all but is eliminated.

My question is since there is not much true stereo separation due to my location is there a way I can run the recording through something like "Audacity" and make the left side run with the left channel?

Gordon:
iZotope RX declick will tone it way down!

Gutbucket:
If you don't have iZotope RX, try some other declick routine. They are often used for clean up of vinyl record transfers.  I think most of them target transients which occur only in one channel or the other.

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: tomy01 on April 30, 2024, 04:52:55 PM ---I recently recorded a concert about 20 rows from the left stage monitor, not between the monitors (stage right / stage left).  Anyway a womwen one row in front of me about 5 seats down to the left clapped just about all the songs never ending.  If I put earbuds in I can distictly hear the clapping in my left bud but if I remove and only use the right side it all but is eliminated.

My question is since there is not much true stereo separation due to my location is there a way I can run the recording through something like "Audacity" and make the left side run with the left channel?

--- End quote ---

Before making a mono file out of the right side channel without the clapping I'd try one of the methods mentioned above like de-click, de-pop or one of the noise reduction schemes that targets cleaning up a vinyl recording.

If that doesn't work and you want to pursue the dual mono approach all you have to do is import the stereo file into your editor, split the file into 2 mono files, delete the left one (the one with the clapper), duplicate the right one and hard pan each mono file right and left.

I had to do this recently at a bluegrass show where I only had a fixed 90 degree mount but had to run up close and way off to the side. My left mic was pointed at the crowd and they were really boisterous so I just used the right mic that was pointed right at the stack using the method I described above. https://archive.org/details/gsbg2023-11-07.mbhoKA500

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version