Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neuros hard disk recorder  (Read 7700 times)

Offline skua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I only see in infrared.
Neuros hard disk recorder
« on: February 12, 2004, 05:31:26 PM »
Anybody have any recent experience with the Neuros 20GB Hard Disk Recorder?

http://www.neurosaudio.com/

Looks promising... currently supports recording to uncompressed WAV as well as OGG. Posibility that they may be able to support FLAC in the future. Although USB 1.1 is a bummer.

Has anyone used it to record any concerts?
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Neuros hard disk recorder
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 05:51:26 PM »
I have looked at in the store, but it didn't do WAV at the time... how much is it going for these days?
slim, small.... wonder about the bit accuracy...
?>FR2LE

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 05:56:38 PM »
Looks like its inputs are analog, so bit perfectness is moot.

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_20gbspec.asp
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

cmoorevt

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 05:58:07 PM »
MSRP on the 20 gig model is $199.99.  They don't seem to have a digital I/O which is strange considering most of their competition does.  

I too would be interested in the bit accuracy, as well as if it has a limit on the size of a wav file and whether the harddrive introduces the same clicks to wav recordings as the Archos and the iRiver.

A quick check of their support forums shows the tech support to be fairly responsive, so it maybe I'll ask a few questions.

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 10:09:44 AM »
no digital I/O means no bit accuracy issue:
You look for bit accuracy from a digital in

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 01:21:05 PM »
isnt usb a digital in ?   its not spdif  but ..

seems to me this is the way to go  over the gmini.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 01:23:58 PM »
will it record a wav from the usb in?  if so it might be an interesting option to take a look at.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline mirth

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 01:26:24 PM »
No, USB is an interface for your computer to connect to the device.

So, you could use the Neuros as an external hard drive for recording but you'd still need an A>D
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 02:47:32 PM »
but arnt there  pre amps with usb out ?  

or is there something inherent that the machine wont record from a usb on the fly ?
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 02:52:56 PM »
but arnt there  pre amps with usb out ?  

or is there something inherent that the machine wont record from a usb on the fly ?

First, preamps are in the analog domain.  USB is the digital domain.  Hence, Mirth's comment that you'd need an ADC with a USB output to even consider running pre/ADC > USB > Neuros.  Yes, there are some ADCs with USB output: UA5, maybe one from M-Audio, too, and the MiniMe.

Second, yes - recording an incoming signal to a file is a different animal from simply transferring an incoming file.  I'm guessing the Neuros is not capable of *recording* an incoming signal over USB and writing it to WAV, but rather is merely capable of receiving a file transfer over USB.  Then again, I don't really know jack about the Neuros.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 03:17:10 PM »
ok here it is...
usb outputs on any device, recording or otherwise, are meant to attach to a "host".  it's not the same as an audio output or even a digital output, it is a means for that device to communicate to the host.  the host would be a pc or a laptop.
if the neuros or other hard-drive based recording devices could act as a host, then yes, you would be able to attach a usb-enabled pre-amp/a-d device to them, however all the devices i have seen are not sophisticated enough to be a host.  you'd need to install device drivers on them and all that jazz like a normal computer.

so no you can't record via the usb port on any current hard-drive based devices.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 03:26:05 PM »
I think where I was going - in my mostly ignorant state - is even if the Neuros is, in fact, acting as a host, in addition it still needs the appropriate s/w installed and configured to record the signal coming in from USB.  So, it's at least a two-step issue: [1] as you've mentioned, Simp, communications between the two devices over USB must be enabled, [2] the recording device must be able to utilize the signal coming in over USB.

Good detail, Simp - first things first:  the device has to do [1] before it can do [2].  +T
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mirth

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 03:35:14 PM »
The only time I've seen devices acting in this fashion are proprietary ones that offload images from CF media for digi cams.... Both devices tend to be from the same manufacturer so they can write the necessary functionality into the firmware on all equipment involved.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 05:03:03 PM »
also, the USBpre1.5 will work with a laptop USB style

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 02:17:28 PM »
USB has never be an audio transfert protocol like Firewire with video. But that would be great.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com