Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Solid State recorders available?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Solid State recorders available?
« on: March 07, 2004, 07:59:36 PM »
Curious to hear from anyone that has used a solid-state recorder (say the Marantz PMD670) and what hassles. Also curious about whats out there, and projected to come out this summer. Read over posts here for a bit and did some searching but the results for a sub-$1k recorder seemed a little slim so I'm interested in what others have found. Thank you.

- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Solid State recorders available?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 08:06:22 PM »
havent used it, but you are gonna pay out the rear end for flash memory for it

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 08:15:56 PM »
Yeah, Type 2 cards are like $160 for 2gb which gets me like 3hrs in stereo at 44.1. The catch is those are type2 cards (microdrives). Cool and much cheaper, but they still have some moving parts, and thats what I'm trying to move away from *if possible and feesable*.

Type 1 cards which are truely solid state are like $430 for a 2gb model which while its resuable, pushes the PMD670 just outside my price range.

- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 11:07:54 PM »
Or buy the Creative Muvo for $199, which has a Hitachi 4GB micro drive...  

Actually that's not a bad idea.  How much are the CF recorders???
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 12:03:22 AM »
Yeah, I read about the microdrives in the creative players on slashdot earlier. I might "invest" in one of those and take my changes with the moving parts.

cheapest I've found for one that looks decent (the PMD, cause the Fostex is too far outside of my budget) is arround $650 depending on where you get it (I've seen 622 and 699).

With a 4gb microdrive, your getting 5.5hrs of recording, and the battery lasts about 6-7 hours per battery.

Although, its rather large, almost the size of my 12in ibook after looking at the specs... No (easy) stealthing with it (cursed Iriver and their poor ihp120).

But, that makes it just under $900 for a deck and media. If I wasnt a miser I could throw in a UA-5 for another $300 to replace my pre-amp and call it a day. ^_^

- Page

BobW

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 12:43:02 AM »
Sweetness.

Thank you. I knew about the PDAudio input device from CoreSound, but didnt know about the yahoo group.

-- Page

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 04:57:27 AM »
so anyone tried it?

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 12:42:04 PM »
Does anyone know if Marantz plans to make a hard drive recorder?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 12:53:43 PM »
I've heard a rumor that one is in the works, but thats all it is so far, is a rumor.

- Page

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com