Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sample recording I did with the R-09 - thoughts?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline bbernardini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Sample recording I did with the R-09 - thoughts?
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:49 PM »
This evening, my band played a short showcase set for some potential wedding clients. I recorded the set (for experimental purposes) from the soundboard (about 25' feet away from the stage and mains) using the internal mics of the R-09, low cut on, input set at about 8. This level turned out to be quite low, so I had to do a significant increase in the volume with Audacity. (As it's a rather large club sound system, I tried to play it safe with the levels, but I guess our man on the boards decided to keep things a bit on the low side instead of blasting the clients. Good man.)

Anyway, I've posted the entire set here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/38303572/Vibe_Tribe_Showcase_1-14-08.mp3.html

It's about a 30 meg download. I'd be interested to hear everybody's thoughts on the recording, and how I might be able to improve future recordings using only the internal mics. Heck, if you want to give me your thoughts on our performance as well, have at it. :)

P.S. We're available for weddings, bar mitzvahs, corporate parties, divorce parties, surprise parties...and so on. Our website is:

www.thevibetribe.net

The setlist for the recording above:

The Way You Look Tonight
I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)
It's The Same Old Song
Dancing In The Streets
Build Me Up Buttercup
Let's Get It Started
Joy And Pain
Boogie Oogie Oogie
Runaround Sue
At Last
Let's Get It On
December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sample recording I did with the R-09 - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
Listening to it right now. I'm not the most gifted person when it comes to recording and giving advice to others, but this came out pretty good, considering you've recorded this with the internal mics. I would have enjoyed a bit stereo seperation, which can only be achieved with externals. I don't know if a baffle would be of any use on the R-09 (or is that just a binaural thing?).
Overall, pretty good, nice lows and and not too much highs.
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sample recording I did with the R-09 - thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I've gotten some nice recordings with my r-09's internal mics, but then again, I'm not hard to please. I mean, a recording with an R-09's internals is better than nothing at all. But yes, I normally use my church mics. If you want to go further, check out some church audio mics. they're relatively inexpensive and will give you very nice results, better than the R-09's internals. rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.381 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com