Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: 6 x 9 car speakers, I am finishing refurb on the car  (Read 2876 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
ISO: 6 x 9 car speakers, I am finishing refurb on the car
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »
Hello, I have been out of the car stereo loop for quit some time, but I have just finished refurb on the car and would like to get a great sounding pair of 6 x 9 speakers for the rear.  I can always add amps, I just want a clear dynamic sound.
Harmon Kardon is the stereo I currently have in the car, but the speakers have been tweaked to much and have some distinctive static.  Time to upgrade
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: ISO: 6 x 9 car speakers, I am finishing refurb on the car
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
I had a set of Boston FX speakers that I loved for years. Sadly, I'll need to do some major hacking to get them in the new vehicle.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:51:36 PM »
I'm not sure if you're just looking for suggestions of if you are looking for a pair of speakers, but I have a brand new pair that have never been used that I was prepared to install in my car three months ago, but lo and behold and much to my surprise Toyota repaired the original speakers under warranty.  I actually had opened the box, removed the speakers and installed them...but then the Toyota dealership removed these the following day when I took the car in because I couldn't get the screws to match up with the screw holes in the car frame.  That's when they offered to replace the old speakers because the car was still under warranty...shocked though I was.

Here are the speakers I bought...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8210982&st=infinity+9623&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1166234894575

Also available on ebay for ~80 shipped.

If interested, I'll send them to you for $50 cause they're doing me no good sitting on my basement shelf.

Steve

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »

I took the car in because I couldn't get the screws to match up with the screw holes in the car frame.

1. Place the Infinity in the hole.
2. Use pencil to make mark, through the frame hole on underside, on the speaker frame.
3. Use good drill to slowly create new mounting hole in speaker.
4. Mount.

Unless Toyota is giving you a decent brand of speaker, go with the Infinity.  Not sure about nowadays, but Infinity used to make a fantastic car speaker. 

If I had to choose to buy a new speaker, I'd go with MB Quart or Boston Acoustics...  For now, I'll stick with my free JBLs...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:37:59 PM »
Unless Toyota is giving you a decent brand of speaker, go with the Infinity.  Not sure about nowadays, but Infinity used to make a fantastic car speaker. 

Thanks for the advice Terry.  I was of course gonna drill more holes but actually, my issue was a little more than just that the speakers didn't match up...I just didn't want to go into details about it in my post when it really didn't matter to the substance of my response.  Anyhow, I also had problems with a couple other things related to getting the back panels installed right...needed to have Toyota give me some more of those plastic doo-hickey tabs that fasten the panels to the metal frame and also some other minor misc stuff.  Since it turns out that it was warranty work, I opted to have them do it to their level of replacment and satisfaction, which was fine by me.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »

Thanks for the advice Terry.  I was of course gonna drill more holes but actually, my issue was a little more than just that the speakers didn't match up...

I hear ya...  Sorry to butt in... 

I went through a whole car stereo deal 10 years ago...  Its a PITA, I usually leave it to the "pros" at Worst Buy now...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »
Most of the people that hang out in the stereo section of the FJ forum I'm on all talk circles around mb quart and boston acoustics so I'd say they're pretty good.

I had a set of JBL's in my old car and thought they sounded great.

Lots of people also say to go the component route over 6x9's - put a 6.5 for the 6x9 area and put the tweeter in the dash.  I went this route for the FJ and I like it.  Usually its pretty easy to find mounting plates for the 6.5 to fill the 6x9 hole.

Honestly though, I'd jsut get the best you're budget can afford, there's a horrible markup on car audio and for the most part I don't think the middle tier sounds much worse than the top of the line stuff.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com