Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What Should I buy?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline tonyuk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What Should I buy?
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
Ok I confess I don't have a clue what I'm doing so I hope you guys will give me some advice. I run an online community and I have started to create my own podcast. We attend live events and I simply record interviews with my members. I have started with some very basic kit and have a couple of Sony ICD-UX80s and 2 x ECM-CZ10 MICs.

As our podcast is going well I want to invest in better equipment. I have spent many hours reading reviews on recorders and I'm still unsure what to purchase although it seems that I should purchase either.....

Edirol R-09 Audio
Zoom H2
Zoom H4 
M-Audio MicroTrack II

All I want the recorder to do is to be able to record decent interviews even when there is a lot of background noise, be able to record interviews outside even when it is windy and the option to record an interview with 3 or 4 people sat at a table without having to pass a mic around. I would also prefer a recorder with good battery life as I don't want to have to keep changing batteries.

So what recorder and mic would you suggest I need? 

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: What Should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »
There are lots of fans of the Edirol R-09 here, so you'll probably hear plenty of people recommend it.  The R-09 has recently been replaced by the R-09HR.  The HR model is an improvement in most every way, so that would be one choice.

For podcasting, I like the Tascam DR-1.  It's quite a bit cheaper than the Edirol models.  It has a mic input on the bottom of the recorder for a 7mm (1/4-inch) phone jack, as well as the typical 3.5mm (1/8-inch) stereo minijack on the top.  The 7mm jack is much more durable, and is less likely to introduce electrical clicks and pops from the mic cable.  The Tascam has a low-medium-high setting for mic sensitivity, and the low setting seems to do a great job of hiding self-noise generated by the mic.

Another recorder to consider is the Olympus LS-10.  Recent tests by group member Guysonic confirm that the LS-10 has a stepped roll-off of frequencies below 200 Hz.  See the report here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106251.0.html

This roll-off of low frequencies is a problem for people interested in recording music with lots of bass, but it's an advantage for people recording the human voice.  The roll-off also helps defeat background noise and wind. Other recorders use a low cut filter to achieve similar results.

Flintstone

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 01:50:09 AM by flintstone »

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
beer and shrooms
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
If you don't want to buy external mics, the H2 meets the needs you've described to a tee.  I've heard the H2 and it really gives great sound for such a small little unit and less than $200.  You have the ability to activate all 4 mics in surround mode and set that sucker right in the middle of the table and you're good to go.  The sound you get will I think be VERY adequate for your podcasts...in my case I heard an acoustic guitar player use the H2 to record their own practice sessions and I thought the H2 sounded very ncie...far nicer than I expected from onboard mics and a package at sub-$200. 

I'm not sure how it does on batteries, but honestly that's the least of your concerns because for $25 you should pick up a 15minute quick charger and some rechargeable AAs and be done with worrying about power.

Now, if you were into this a little more heavily and were thinking highest quality sound, then external mics would be in order.  That runs the gammut but you didn't really ask about mics, so I'll just stick with the recorder.  In that case (using external mics), yeah I agree that the R-09 is a good choice.  You have to keep in mind the reason that people are gonna recommend the R-09 on this list is simply because it's a good recorder for recording music files onto (which is what 90% of the people on tapersection.com do)  The R-09 has a very low noise floor, it has a good A/D converter, etc which meets the needs of the music archivist. 

But these may not be the things that you are most concerned with as far as meeting your needs.  The on-board mics of the R-09 by the way also provide a very nice sound given that they're on board mics.  However, it's only two mics and they don't operate in surround mode.  They're probably omni-directional mics though, so maybe it doesn't matter.  If they're cardiod mics (check the R-09 specs) then they would be more limited in their ability to pick-up off axis sound that the surround mics of the H2.

My two cents.

Offline tonyuk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to need an external mic and I'm starting to think that the PCM-D50 may suit my requirements. What mic would you recommend for this recorder?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:01:29 AM »
The Transom.org web site discusses audio equipment for ENG and podcasts.  They did a mic comparison some months ago.  Here's the link
http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200608_handheld_mic_shootout/

Flintstone

Offline tonyuk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
I have ordered the PCM-D50 as it seems very robust and from reading this forum and others it seems to be liked by most. All I need now is a decent mic or two. Remember I'm a complete newbie and don't have the knowledge you guys have. The PCM-D50 has an optional power pack for mics although this costs around $450 and I don't really want to pay out for that.

What mics are available for the PCM-D50 without using the optional power pack and are these any good?  Remember I will only be using the mic for interviews.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
My list:-
Sony PCM-D50
Olympus LS-10
Edirol R-09HR

I am actually buying the Olympus - mainly for build quality and small size - I plan on using the Nagra VI for the pro. recordings and the Olympus as a "carry anywhere" device.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com