Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External mic for a cammie  (Read 4016 times)

Offline maidencolorado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
External mic for a cammie
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »
I just picked up a new cammie, this one has plug-in power for an external mic.  I normally run separate audio anyway, but have found myself in situations where the external on the cammie might come in handy.  I do have the accessory shoe, so mounting shouldn't be a problem.

I was wondering if you could throw some recommendations my way as to what would be a good mic in the up to $100 (maybe a little higher if necessary) range.  I mostly film rock and metal shows at a local club, some very loud, and as often as I can, right from up front.

Here are a couple of examples if you want to take a look:

Sabbat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOr65z9Kgk

Seven Witches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZOXE7V6cY

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: External mic for a cammie
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
You'll still overload the cameras preamp no matter what mic you use at a VERY loud rock show.

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
^ above is true for most cams but some have manual gain control

you didnt mention if you need stealth or not
if not Rode Videomic

I have run my Church mics and pre- amp through my cam

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
If you go with a Rode mic make sure it's the Stereo VideoMic.  The other is a mono shotgun and will sound terrible for music.

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
^ above is true for most cams but some have manual gain control

you didnt mention if you need stealth or not
if not Rode Videomic

I have run my Church mics and pre- amp through my cam

Nope, not going to be a stealth situation.  It won't likely be used in a situation where the volume will be too high, and I'll likely be running secondary audio anyway (never hurts to have a back up).

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
It is not generally good to use a stereo mic on a camera because any movement shifts the stereo field in disturbing ways.  If the camera is locked, fine.  But if you intend on panning, zooming, getting crowd cutaways, in other words, shoot interesting video, stereo should be avoided.  You can sometimes pick up the beyer MCE87vs on ebay for less than $100, which is a great price as it retails for like $389US.

Good Luck,

Best,

John

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
It is not generally good to use a stereo mic on a camera because any movement shifts the stereo field in disturbing ways.  If the camera is locked, fine.  But if you intend on panning, zooming, getting crowd cutaways, in other words, shoot interesting video, stereo should be avoided.  You can sometimes pick up the beyer MCE87vs on ebay for less than $100, which is a great price as it retails for like $389US.

Good Luck,

Best,

John

Ture, but it would be better to have a stereo mic instead of a mono shotgun like the Rode VM.  Even if you use the internal mics of the camera they are stereo and will have the same effect.  It's ideal to run secondary audio of course.  With a good mic you can get a cleaner source to help match the external audio to.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »
It's ideal to run secondary audio of course.  With a good mic you can get a cleaner source to help match the external audio to.

I've had some bad experiences where I used a mic connected to my videocam - and things didn't go right and I ended up with ZERO audio - and no one else taped the audio.

So with a secondary audio source - you stand a good chance of getting nicer audio for the video, and one way or another - you're going to have at least one audio source for the video.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:47 PM »
Cameras don't do audio very well at all.  You may get room presence and general background well with a camera, but audio should be a separate endeavor.  I once knew a Chief Engineer who put Crown PZMs on the eng field cameras.  Guess what they got for audio???

Yeah.

So, you'll find those who promote all kinds of on camera audio schemes.  Your experience is your best friend.  I use a shotgun on camera.

Best,

John
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:33:43 PM by Red Boink »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
I agree that if you're recording music, record in stereo even if it is two mono mics.
check out groovetv on archive.org

very great audio and three/four different camera shoots. That's how you keep it interesting!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:38:48 AM »
You'll still overload the cameras preamp no matter what mic you use at a VERY loud rock show.

Unless you use Core-Sound's attenuator cable .

http://core-sound.com/attenuator-cables/1.php

I know it works great for camera's.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »
I actually have that attenuator cable.I used the Core Sound Binaurals with the attenuator plugged in to Sony vx2100 video cam which has manual gain control.Waveform looks great but audio still overloaded,but i am shooting from front row in front of stack so its loud.My minidisc handles it perfectly though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com