Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob needs some mic advice  (Read 2403 times)

Offline truegrass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Noob needs some mic advice
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »
Hello all, I am new to this forum as well as live recording. I have an H4N and just got some taper tickets to the phish Madison Square Garden shows. I do not have any mics, but plan on buying some prior to the show. I was wondering if any one had some suggestions on what two mics I should get... I do not have a great deal of money to spend and just want to get a matched set, but I not sure of brand, model, and weather I should have a set up with an omni directional and a straight mic? Thanks ahead of time for any help!!!

stevetoney

Re: Noob needs some mic advice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
Whew...fairly wide open request there.  I'll try to offer some help.

First, there are lots of threads in the history of this forum that ask the same question.  If you have some time, just use the 'search' function and be somewhat diligent and you'll find tons of detail if you don't feel like waiting for responses to this thread.  I'd start by searching 'noob mic' in the microphones forum or something close.

Specific responses will depend specifically on your budget.  You say you're on a limited budget, so I usually give the same response to that situation...one of the best sounding mic/preamp combinations for the money is the Church Audio CA-14 mics running into the Church 9100 preamp.  You'll need about $250 to $300 for new, but the sound is outstanding for the money.

Since you'll be recording Phish from the section, you will want directional mics to keep the crowd noise minimized.  Omni's pick up sound in all directions and since there's no need to record the drunken masses behind you, the cards will work best.  In the case of Church, the CA-14 are available in both omni and cardiod model.

If you're looking for full-bodied mics, you also need to consider that you'll probably need a preamp.  Cost is starting to go up now.  There are plenty of entry level mics in the $200 a pair range and there are tons of high quality sounding modded UA-5's in the Yard Sale right now for $250 - $300. 

Personal opinion though is these rigs don't sound nearly as good as the CA-14, plus there's more gear to lug in.

Personally, I'd sell your Tapers section tickets for a small premium (since they're taper tickets) and use the extra money to buy the CA-14 setup. 

Then I'd turn around and buy tix that get you really great seats and use the CA-14 rig to tape from there.

In general, for a Phish show, I think the only real advantage you have in having a Section ticket is that you're guaranteed to get your gear in the door (and of course that you can fly your mics along with everyone else.)

But if you have a CA-14 rig, you might not need to worry about having your gear checked at the door and you can put the mics up high enough wherever you are to get a good recording.

My thoughts anyway.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
doesn't anybody patch anymore?  ???
patching will give you an idea what other people run and gives you a solid recording
it also gives you time to save enough money to buy something nice

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »
doesn't anybody patch anymore?  ???
patching will give you an idea what other people run and gives you a solid recording
it also gives you time to save enough money to buy something nice

LOL...but patching is no fun!  Everyone knows that the shows you record yourself with your own gear always sound better.

Besides 'nice' gear is a relative term.  Some people need to spend thousands before they are satisfied.  Others can live their entire life with CA-14's and be happy as a clam.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »
run while you can!! sure it all starts with a $300 setup and then you get HOOKED...no seriously, if you HAVE to run mics, you have gotten some good advice here from Tonedeaf. But I agree with Darby about the patching thing.  If you can hold off the desire to run your own mics, I would patch for a few shows and see what set up and sound you like. Also, pay attention to the source on shows you download. 

All this being said, I was unable to do that at my first taping experience...I ran a AT something stereo mic....part of me wish I had waited, but then again...it was pretty damn cool having a mic in the air...

either way you go have fun!
bp

check yardsale...pretty good deals in there right now, but it depends on your budget
bp
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
run while you can!! sure it all starts with a $300 setup and then you get HOOKED...no seriously, if you HAVE to run mics, you have gotten some good advice here from Tonedeaf. But I agree with Darby about the patching thing.  If you can hold off the desire to run your own mics, I would patch for a few shows and see what set up and sound you like.

Ditto on the patching for MSG. One idea would be to meet up with someone on here who is looking to tape at MSG and pair up with them and learn how setup works, what to look for in a venue, what to look out for during a show, stuff like that. Do that for a couple of shows and see if you like it. If so, then blow money.

I bet you could find someone on here who's willing to do personal tutoring lessons and answer questions for an evening if it meant that you carried their gear in (since at most Phish shows, there are only a limited number of taper tickets).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jim1274

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »
From a guy who has upgraded and tried more mics than I will EVER admit to, and over a pretty short period of time (less than one year), do a lot of homework before you pull the trigger.  There are a LOT of options out there.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com