Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-2 - just announced at Musikmesse  (Read 16672 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Korg MR-2 - just announced at Musikmesse
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »
Finally an SD handheld from Korg.  It will be interesting to see if Korg can close ground on its competitors.  1 bit DSD a side, they've been playing catch-up in the handheld market.  This SD model might be the ticket for them.   

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
Interesting design.  If you put it in a some sort of case that covers the mic grille on top, it will totally pass for a media player. 

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
The battery life is kind of weak, but looks to be enough for most shows, including an opening act. On the other hand, the USB bus power will alow for alot of external powering options.

Two-way power supply
Two AA nickel-metal hydride batteries (1900 mAh) allow approximately four hours of continuous recording or playback. USB bus power is also supported. (Note: Nickel-metal hydride batteries cannot be recharged using bus power.)

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
It does not appear to have any digital in.  Too bad.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
MR-2
Nominal level (Line): -10dBV
Max level (line): +2dBV
Input impedence: 75k ohms
MR-2 can take less than MR-1.

And no RCA SPDIF digi in either........another "toy"  ::) :-X ::)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
Digi in is useless for this device....I don't understand why anyone would think a dsd machine would have it.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
Digi in is useless for this device....I don't understand why anyone would think a dsd machine would have it.

Crappy analog in + no digi in = crappy "toy"

What are you going to use this newest disposable recorder for?......crappy point-and-shoot internal mic recordings?  No thanks......next.

:-\

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »
I wonder if this is an MR-1 replacement or a lower cost model.

The MR-1 is labelled on the Korg site as "Professional Mobile Recorder"

Where as the MR-2 is labelled as "High-Resolution Mobile Recorder"

MR-2 lacks balanced inputs and does not handle as high of signal levels.

I would think this is more in alignment with the R-09hr, Sony D10, Roland R-05, etc  So I would expect it priced in the same range ~$300 versus the MR-1 which was at the ~$800 when orignally released.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 07:02:31 AM »

Crappy analog in + no digi in = crappy "toy"

What are you going to use this newest disposable recorder for?......crappy point-and-shoot internal mic recordings?  No thanks......next.

:-\

Hook...., some wonderful advice that will improve your online persona.
shut up.
better to appear stupid by keeping your mouth closed than to prove it by flappin your gums.

As I see it, this is a very cool deck.  I can't wait to get my hands on one of these suckers.

-digital I/O is a PCM thing.  It would behoove a PCM recorder to have one..., but this is a DSD recorder..primarily.
that is the "catch" with this deck.  DSD.  PCM recording is an afterthought with these Korg recorders, which is why there is no digital i/o outside of USB for data transfer.

- no balanced inputs ?  big deal.  they were a PITA and completely unnecessary.  will not affect quality by not having them.

- built in microphones are here to stay.  after-all the majority of the market is just like their picture on korg.com.  a guy playing music w/this thing setup and recording in front of him. 

- no moving parts !!  much better.
- hopefully an improved opamp from the Kraco chip they had in the MR1.

all in all, the MR1 still remains my favorite sounding deck.  The MR2 can only be a step in the right direction, all these years later since the MR1, I"m sure they have learned a thing or two.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:13:48 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »

I love you too, Mr.Picks......nice cables.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »
I think if people want a digital in they should just get an MT(II). And not spend extra on this. This thing only needs a good line-in. I think having the mics inside the recorder is the downside cuz it ends up with a smaller screen to make room for the internal mics. I personally prefer a larger screen vs internal mics. The previous model screen seems better. And who wants to put the recorder 8 foot up on a mic stand.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »

- no balanced inputs ?  big deal.  they were a PITA and completely unnecessary.  will not affect quality by not having them.

you will lose about 15db of signal to noise ratio going unbalanced in vs. balanced in.

that seems kind of important to me.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »
The MR-1 runs just fine on balanced and unbalanced. Whoever is claiming it doesn't wasn't bold enough to plug it in.  ::) If you plug balanced into the left channel and unbalanced into the right, you see a 6dB difference which is proper. So what was the pain with the balanced inputs?
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline manamana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 09:47:28 PM »
I'd actually love a small, cheap, quality recorder with balanced inputs.

haven't done any concrete studies, but I get the impression that cell phone interference is less of an issue when I'm recording over a totally balanced path. It's usually not a huge deal no matter what, but it'd be nice to reduce further.

Cabling would be easier too. I'd be looking closer at this if it maintained a balanced option, but without it, I'm looking at the tiny sony or the new tascam.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »
Of my 3 Pre Amp's Only my PSP-2 has unbalanced out - so Balanced out is critical for me - especially since I am not running any 48V mics right now (just 2 sets of tube mics).

I am not saying the MR-2 is a toy as others seem to think, I just think it's marketed as more of a consumer focused deck - But this probably means they going to price it a more agressive price point

so MR-2 vs. M10 vs. 09HR vs 05 and I bet you the MR-2 smokes the others sound wise
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:03:31 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com