Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4n help : 4 external mics / 2gb file size limit  (Read 7682 times)

Offline srijan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H4n help : 4 external mics / 2gb file size limit
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »
Hi,
I currently have an iriver h120 and i use it to tape my live performances while i'm touring by connecting two shure sm57s to it's line-in using a y-adapter cable (1/8" St Male ---> 2 x 1/4" Mono Female)

I'm pretty satisfied with the results I get from this setup - I can't afford expensive condensers right now.

I was looking for a 4-track recorder and the zoom H4n seems to be ideal because using it I can connect 4 external microphones - two to it's xlr inputs and another two to its plug-in power mic input.

What I need to know is, is the plug-in power mic input on the h4n the same as the line-in on the iriver h120? Can I expect to get similar results if I plug two sm57s into the h4n using the y-adapter cable mentioned above?

Also, how does the h4n handle the 2gb file size limit? I don't have this problem on the iRiver because of rockbox. Is there a workaround to this on the h4n?

Thanks!

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
Re: Zoom H4n help : 4 external mics / 2gb file size limit
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:05 AM »
I am also researching this model, as it seems ideal for me for a back-up recorder, and having the 4 channel option is something that I would like to play with a bit, however from what I understand from Zooms description of the unit, there may be a simple conceptual error in your post.  I believe, based upon my understanding of what is described, that to record 4 channel, you only have the option for two of the channels to be the onboard mics.  this seems to be true in "record" mode, but in MTR mode, only two channel recording is possible, however with 4 ch playback.

" The H4n is the only handheld recorder that allows recording on four channels simultaneously by using your own external mics with its onboard mics."

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

if I am incorrect in this, then this would make me extremely happy, because this would be a killer machine IMHO with the ability to record 4ch with 4 external mics, for the price point.  Perhaps we can get an H4N owner to confirm this :)
"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »

" The H4n is the only handheld recorder that allows recording on four channels simultaneously by using your own external mics with its onboard mics."

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

if I am incorrect in this, then this would make me extremely happy, because this would be a killer machine IMHO with the ability to record 4ch with 4 external mics, for the price point.  Perhaps we can get an H4N owner to confirm this :)

That alone would certainly not make it a killer machine. It would also need preamps that are at least decent, the phantom power would have to be quiet, it would need decent battery life with phantom power on, it would need to accept a very loud source without overloading, etc. I would not trust Zoom to provide this although reviews of the machnine are pretty good. I absolutely hated my Zoom H4 and did not like what I read about the H2, although the H4n has supposedly corrected some of their shortcomings. If lacking in some of these features i wouldn't care about the price point.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »
You can record  4 channels simltaeously with 4 external mics with the H4n. I do it all the time. You can also do a line-in/mic matrix.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »
You can indeed record four external mics simultaneously and the 2 GB files can be joined seamlessly, afterwards. If you aren't recording nightingales from miles away, SM57 should be OK.

Disclaimer: Unlike fmaderjr, I do own a H4n and use it quite a lot, so I most probably have no idea of what I'm talking about.

Ralf

Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »
Been using this for a few months now, mostly as my SBD feed deck.  I am grateful that others interpretted the manual better than myself, because i was wrong, indeed.  The line in on the bottom disables the built in mics, so what has been said above is true regarding this deck. 

I have had no issues with noise, battery life, etc.  Great deck for the price point IMHO, and adds a great deal of flexibility to my gear bag at shows.
"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
Tascam DR 2d might work for your needs
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 05:15:20 AM »
Been using this for a few months now, mostly as my SBD feed deck.  I am grateful that others interpretted the manual better than myself, because i was wrong, indeed.  The line in on the bottom disables the built in mics, so what has been said above is true regarding this deck. 

Plugging in to the bottom xlr/1/4" only disables the built-in mics if you have it in Stereo mode.  Run it in 4ch mode and you can run (line or mic in on the bottom inputs) and (built-in mics or external 1/8" stereo in jack) simultaneously in up to 48/24.  BTW, a glance at the manual reveals that the 1/4 inch jacks are unbalanced and line level.

Just got this deck and it seems pretty good.  Quiet, fairly neutral sounding condensers onboard, Tons of features, replaces a whole box of gear and is a great tool if you're a musician (i'm not) with a tuner and a multitrack (portastudio-like) mode.  And it cost me less than my JB3.  Probably going to run it on Halloween at Phish for a test run.

I wonder if Oade would mod the caps in the xy?

Offline srijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »
You can indeed record four external mics simultaneously and the 2 GB files can be joined seamlessly, afterwards. If you aren't recording nightingales from miles away, SM57 should be OK.

Disclaimer: Unlike fmaderjr, I do own a H4n and use it quite a lot, so I most probably have no idea of what I'm talking about.

Ralf

So the h4n seems to be the way to go for me!

Some more questions:
1. Can I adjust the input gain on the 1/8th" stereo in jack?
2. How long will a pair of duracells last when recording in 4ch mode with 4 external mics at 16/44.1? and 24/48?
3. Can I use some sort of a battery pack with the h4n? Is one available off the shelf or will I have to build one? How long will this last in the above situations?

Thanks!

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:24:13 AM »
all I'll say is 57's or 58's leave a ton to be desired for what you are saying
you can get some Groove Tubes Convertible
Medium-diaphragm Handheld Condenser Mic with Removable Ball Windscreen for Instrument Miking
$69 each at Sweetwater....and no doubt they will sound worlds better....than 57's

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTConvert
Groove Tubes Convertible Features:

* Condenser
    * Hypercardioid
    * Low Noise FET Circuitry
    * Removable Ball Windscreen
    * 20Hz-18kHz
    * 146dB Max SPL
    * Excellent Price/Performance Ratio

Shure SM57:
Frequency response: 40 to 15,000 Hz

I know there are tons of other mics for field recording that will sound way better than SM57's check into it

you'll be happier - really!
--Ian
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:59:57 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.238 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com