Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEW: Tascam DR-100mkii  (Read 15715 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: new Tascam?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »
I'm with Todd, it looks like it has potential for a budget recorder, but it's not revolutionary over some other offerings plus Tascam's track record as of late hasn't been sterling...

Whoever buys one first; don't forget to test whether it's bitperfect and if it does truely seemless splits.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
..assuming it doesn't suffer the same issues as the 680.

Just make sure it gets the right voltage.  ;)

I used the battery below with the DR2d until the firmware update got the run time up to 5+ hrs on AAs.  Ran it all day for a few fests and it only dropped a few bars on the charge indicator (maybe 25%) recording 4 channels but no phantom load of course.  Haven't needed to use it since the update, but it would probably now run it for days.    Smaller than a DVD battery:
http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000/

Nice.  I actually have a battery that's my dedicated recorder battery.  It's a powerrunner (the highest capacity one) and it's been my 'old faithful' now for ever.  It's flea bitten and the outer case has been broken, taped up, broken again and retaped.   It's like that piece of clothing that you have that's totally worn out but works better and looks better than ANYTHING you could possibly get new.  The powerrunner is actually the predecessor of the Tekkeon.  My powerrunner will power any 5V recorder I've owned for almost an entire 4 day festival and it WILL power most that I've owned.

stevetoney

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »
The other good thing is that it really lowers the cost of a digital-input recorder, down from the 661 (about half the price?) -- particularly if the A/D doesn't have an optical out (like I said, the USBPre and opti-V3 users have already had the D50, but now there is a low cost recorder for those with stock V3's, AD2k+'s, Mytek, Minime's, etc).  That is, meaning if it is reliable -- I know the Microtrack fits that bill, but I can't deal with its unreliability and general finicky-ness.

^ This is the key right here. 

For the last 3 or 4 years, whenever anyone has put out a 'wish list' for hand-held recorder features, the No. 1 request is by far a digital input on a reliable, low cost recorder.  The D50 moved in that direction, but the price point is still up there and it's limited by providing optical input only and the SPDIF standard limits the number of devices it's compatible with.

So, I'm actually pretty psyched about this because I've been waiting for a hand-held with this feature set, with the added bonus of the innovative dual battery design. 

I also love that there are dual XLRs that are switchable between mic and line levels, just like a 661 and a SD-7xx.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: NEW: Tascam DR-100mkii
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
At $150 less than the D50 (and with non-optical in) it's a great additon to the market.  Add on the fact that it can provide P48 across a xlr and it's a great addition to ther arsenal.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 08:51:08 PM »
Ni-MH batteries(eneloop)Built-in mics(UNI/OMNI) About 4 hours(Recording WAV, 44.1kHz, 16 bit)

So I would guess that with the 48 phantom on and a higher bit rate, it would halve that run time.
That would be cutting a little too close for most shows I do.
Too bad if that is the case, this and a pair of Nevaton MCE400's would have the potential to make a nice, compact undercover rig.

If you read the manual more closely, I think you'll find that this isn't a valid conclusion. 

You're missing the point that this unit has BOTH a built in Li-Ion battery and a slot for a pair of AAs and that you can hot-swap the AAs.  The user specifies in the menu which batteries you want to run down first, but obviously you'd want to run out the AAs first. 

The point here is that you run AAs first and then the unit switches over seamlessly to the Li-ion internal while you swap AAs.  Once you swap AAs, you're back on AA power and that process continues forever.

The manual says the Li-ion lasts 5 hours, so if you do nothing you have 9hours of on-board power.  The manual also shows that there's no difference in power consumption between the different bit rates, although I'm sure you're right that if you're running 48V phantom your run-times will be a little shorter, but DEFinitely not half.

The bottom line though is that this unit REALLY has a cool feature that with dual power sources, it can theoretially run for days without ever shutting off as long as you hot swap two AAs every 4 hours or so.

NOTE:  Battery powering is a MAJOR redesign for this recorder.  The Lithium battery for this unit is the EXACT SAME BATTERY used in the Tascam DR-1 and 100 recorders.  What they did was add the AA's to the Sled.  That's it.  I bet the MKII will get at least 5 hours of battery life (lithium + AA's), P48 at 24 bit wav.  Also, Hot swaps is a fantastic new feature too. 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
I'm with Todd, it looks like it has potential for a budget recorder, but it's not revolutionary over some other offerings plus Tascam's track record as of late hasn't been sterling...

Whoever buys one first; don't forget to test whether it's bitperfect and if it does truely seemless splits.

I've owned the HDP2, DR-1, DR07, DR08, and  DR2D.  Always had seamless splits.  Even at festies.  Never failed me. 

Where are you reading this?  680 thread?  Link please?  Thanks. 

stevetoney

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
These are shipping now from B&H.  I'll have one in hand on Friday.  I'll do a review of the unit when it arrives.

Assuming everything works as billed, I'll have a 661 for sale this weekend. 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
I'm intereted in finding out what you think!!  Keep us posted

These are shipping now from B&H.  I'll have one in hand on Friday.  I'll do a review of the unit when it arrives.

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »

I wonder if one of these would send a signal to a UA-5? ???
And if that coax adapter cable comes standard.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

stevetoney

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »

I wonder if one of these would send a signal to a UA-5? ???
And if that coax adapter cable comes standard.

I'll let you know about the coax adapter.  The manual says it's included.

As far as the first question, don't you mean that you wonder if this will accept a digi-signal from a UA-5?  If not, explain what you're trying to do and I'll see if I can tell if it does that when I get my hands on it on Friday.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
As far as the first question, don't you mean that you wonder if this will accept a digi-signal from a UA-5?  If not, explain what you're trying to do and I'll see if I can tell if it does that when I get my hands on it on Friday.
Yeah, still looking for an affordable, reliable 24-bit bucket. If you could get hold of a UA-5 and test, I think there may be others who would be interested. Thanks!
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Quote from: tonedeaf link=topic=151910.msg1927963#msg1927963 date=1323823576
[/quote

Steve, don't forget Team Pittsburgh first. I might be interested.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »
Checking the manual, looks like the breakout cable for digi in is included. Strange design choice, IMO. Why have practically a proprietary mini-mini jack to an RCA breakout when a regular RCA coax would fit? The Microtrac is similar in size and has a full size coax. I don't see anything about this unit that would drive me to sell my 661 for it. Steve does not need a real reason to switch up gear, so don't go by his rationalizations for why he wants to try this Tascam out. ;)
* Merry Christmas Steve, btw * 
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »

I've owned the HDP2, DR-1, DR07, DR08, and  DR2D.  Always had seamless splits.  Even at festies.  Never failed me. 

Where are you reading this?  680 thread?  Link please?  Thanks.

Just thinking out loud. I'd like to assume it does seemless splits based on past performance, but checking is always nice. Thats all.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:33 AM »
Checking the manual, looks like the breakout cable for digi in is included. Strange design choice, IMO. Why have practically a proprietary mini-mini jack to an RCA breakout when a regular RCA coax would fit? The Microtrac is similar in size and has a full size coax. I don't see anything about this unit that would drive me to sell my 661 for it. Steve does not need a real reason to switch up gear, so don't go by his rationalizations for why he wants to try this Tascam out. ;)
* Merry Christmas Steve, btw *

Brad, I'm thinking that their reasoning was that they saved one jack with this design since that's a dual purpose jack (digi-in and remote control input).  Perhaps they needed the space on the inside. 

I can't speak to why they used a mini-jack, but I didn't see that as a real big deal.  I guess people say that digi-cables should be a different impedence than others, but I've used  'normal' el-cheapo RCA cables for between my SPDIF connections in the past and they seemed to work just fine.  Maybe I just got lucky, but my thinking was that any ole RCA > mini-jack cable could be used even if I don't have the short cable that's supplied with the unit.

As far as my rationalizations for trying out new gear, you got me!

Merry Christmas back at-cha! 

PS:  I'll be in Richmond for the holidays...if I can get it past the boss, since she'll be spending it with her sisters, I might try to escape on NYE and catch Brothers Past at Canal Club.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com