Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running mics in plastic wrap/plastic bags? {rain content}  (Read 9169 times)

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
Re: Running mics in plastic wrap/plastic bags? {rain content}
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
It Rained pretty good at Red Rocks one year, I ran an Umbrella (From Ted) and had no issues.  At set break I did put a plastic bag over the mics until the band came back out.

Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »
I would NEVER put plastic bags/condoms over my mics WHILE THEY WERE RECORDING. At moedown last year, it rained so hard they stopped the music for a few hrs. During this time I put a large garbage bag over the tree of mics on my stand, but would NEVER do that while recording audio :)

Unless I was packing up, I wouldn't hit stop. That's just one more thing to do when you pull everything off in a rush while a set starts or the rain ends.

This past weekend we had thundershowers during an afternoon set. Near the end of a set everything looks black and nasty but it generally held. So during the band intros 2 songs before the end, it starts to rain, I immediately throw a plastic garbage bag over the stand (can't really use an umbrella at headheight FOB for 30-40cm spacing...). Lasted like 20 seconds, so the band chatter is trashed, but no music was affected. Rolled for the next two songs and right as they are walking off the stage and I'm puting my mics into the bag (very quickly) it cuts loose.

I can just edit out the band chatter and cross fade between the two songs. If I'd hit stop, I'd have missed the first few notes of the second to last song.

Anymore, I have to have a seriously good reason to run in the rain. I've got too much money tied up in gear to risk it anymore.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Here's a link to the full kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HR0M4Q/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00 
$41.99 for three umbrellas, mount and stand. I haven't played with the stand yet, but I figure I'll either find a use for it or throw it in the YS. It's a 7-footer and very compact, so useful as an FOB stand if nothing else.

I can attest that these umbrellas worked great for us that night.  We were flying 3 sets of mics with dead rats on each stand and didn't get so much as a drop of water on any of the rat's "coats".  Granted, it might've been a different story if the rain was blowing hard sideways, but I'll give these umbrellas a thumbs up.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com