Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Recording from stage...Mic choice?

(1/2) > >>

gristlejaw:
Hello all.

seeking advice for the following situation....recording a show using 2 dat decks one thru the soundboard and the second recorded from a mic up onstage...The recording from the mic i'm looking to pick up the crowd response first and foremost then to pick up any instrument sounds that maybe were not mic'd well or at all.

can anyone reccommend a good mic or pair of mics to rent from a backline company? At least i would like some imput on whether cardoid/hyper/ omni (or if a single stereo mic would work well) and where should the mic stand be placed on stage (ideally).

thanks a bunch.

-justin

Brian:
two cardioids on either side of the stage pointed towards the crowd works very well. i single stereo mic in the middle of the stage would work as well but you run the risk of limiting space on stage for the band and it could possibly obstruct the view of the crowd.

hope that helps some what....good luck....and +t for trying new recording techniques.

Brian

gristlejaw:
Thanks for the advice. I' definitely gonna go taht route (2 cards each side of the stage). I found this article as well. it should help anyone else out who needs it.

-justin

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_recording_audience/

Jason B:
How about a single omni in the crowd? I have done this many times with excellent results.

Lee:
I was thinking a single omni front and center, that might destroy your stereo image out of the board, assuming it's not mono to begin with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version