Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)  (Read 114393 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
[quote}
...the "Format" menu item decidedly does not select the format I'm recording to...)
[/quote]

REC SETTING, the first thing that comes up when you push the Menu button, selects the bitrate and file type.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
fyi 4 is "unity"
Where does this research come from?  When the M10 came out, several tests indicated no unity setting was needed

Several of us have tested it and found that it's somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5 to be exact.  GuySonic also did a bunch of tests on this when the recorder came out.

So, yes, unity is that.   And unity is helpful if you don't want to use any gain from the deck itself (for a consumer product, the M10's internals are VERY quiet).  If you're using a preamp. the idea has always been to set unity on your recorder and ride the gain on the preamp.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »
So, yes, unity is that.   And unity is helpful if you don't want to use any gain from the deck itself (for a consumer product, the M10's internals are VERY quiet).  If you're using a preamp. the idea has always been to set unity on your recorder and ride the gain on the preamp.

That's all good, but which setting sounds best?

Perhaps more important, at which settings do we notice a deterioration of audio quality?  Whether that is something that can be readily measured, or whether it is subjective.

I persistently reported here that the R09 distorted at settings below 8.  Some argued with me about it. It seemed to take quite a while until it was accepted as something to be strongly avoided.  The distortion was a crunching on intense bass.  It probably isn't something that could be easily measured by normal tests.

I was getting out to a lot of shows back then. And I frequently ran the r09, 722 or Microtrack in parallel. That made it easier to chase down differences in performance.

It is something I am curious about with the m10.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
I think Guysonic looked at this as part of his testing and found that the M10 sound does not degrade in the way that you described for the R09 until the level dial is down to about 1.5-ish.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #334 on: June 10, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
Recently my PCM M10 during a concert starts recording that typical cellphone interference whenever I receive a SMS ( text message ) during recording .
Is this picked up by the PCM M10 , or by the microphone itself ( in my case a core sound stealtly card ) ?
I never had this problem until recently , and I also switched a phone brand ( so it can't be the phone itself ) .

Anything I can do against this ( and I don't mean shutting the phone off ) . ?
Thanks !
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #335 on: June 10, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »
I am experiencing trouble with my m10. I run mk41s>naiant LB with lemo connectors>m10 via rca to mini. In the left channel there is a hum which only registers as a hum, not over the music in that channel. Any suggestions? All other items in the chain have been eliminated as possible issues, it has to be the m10. Suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:38:27 PM by twoodruff »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #336 on: June 10, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
Recently my PCM M10 during a concert starts recording that typical cellphone interference whenever I receive a SMS ( text message ) during recording .
Is this picked up by the PCM M10 , or by the microphone itself ( in my case a core sound stealtly card ) ?
I never had this problem until recently , and I also switched a phone brand ( so it can't be the phone itself ) .

Thanks !

Just curious. Why wouldn't you want to switch your phone off while you're recording?

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »

Thanks !

This is actually not an uncommon problem - search the site - it's your mic cables - since the are unbalanced and probably have thinner shielding the are acting like an antenna and picking up the EMI from your phone

Maybe there is a subtitle grounding issue making it worse with the cabling so you could try and send the mics off for a check up but there is no guarantee this will fix it

The standard solution I have read about is either moving the cell phone as far away from the cables as possible or turning off the cell phone

If you want to get extreme You could try wrapping the phone in a conductive foil
I guess
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2014, 03:11:32 AM »
Controlling your own phone is the easy bit, it's other people's phones that are usually the problem, like the serial texter stood next to you throughout the entire show.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I have never had problems with other cell phones standing nearby .
I'll try to keep it much further away . See it that helps.
I didn't know it is the mic cables that causes the problem . I thought it may be a problem on the PCM M10.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #340 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
What would be the best way testing how long the batteries last ? Obviously I can't record 8 hours in a concert situation and test .
I use rechargable batteries . I am wondering if they last shorter in a concert situation , especially due to higher temperatures.

The reason I ask I used to have GP recyko batteries . The ones I had were 2050 mAh , the new ones are 2000 mAh . I thought that little bit less wouldn't matter .
But it really does . After only 3 hours the battery indicates it is  1 out of 5  while the 2050 mAh lasted much longer. The 2050 mAh still records about 8 hours .
But it gives me a funny feeling the indicator telling it is almost empty , while it isn't .

Anyone else using rechargeables here ?

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #341 on: June 13, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »

Anyone else using rechargeables here ?

since I got my first M10 years ago
I leave them in for several shows or if I take a break, I'll put in fresh ones
I use Imedion and Eneloop low discharge "AA"s

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #342 on: June 13, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
What darby just said.  I use the Eneloop XX's as found below but I know the Imedion's are pretty decent too (the Imedion's weren't easily found when I needed to buy some new rechargeables).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766725-REG/Sanyo_XX_Powered_by_Eneloop.html

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #343 on: June 13, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
I think that I did a test with the Eneloop AA's when I first got the M10 and it recorded for about 15 hours if I recall correctly.  What I do not recall was if it died first or the Tinybox died first.  Something is telling me that it might have been the Tinybox.

If you have a Costco near you they sell blister packs of Eneloop batteries regularly for $20.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #344 on: June 14, 2014, 01:34:15 AM »
My PCM-M10 is packed away at the moment but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the Settings menus there is a choice between standard and rechargeable batteries. That might give you more accurate readings about the level of charging.

Much as I want to save the planet, I have to say I gave up on rechargeables with the PCM-M10. I still use them in my CD player, etc.--which is also where alkalines go when the PCM-M10 registers under 1/4 bars.  But if I am going to be out recording, alkalines last so much longer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com