Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting More Confused !!  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Frankie Carroll

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Getting More Confused !!
« on: March 30, 2004, 12:57:14 PM »
I have just ordered a JB3, I already have Sound Professional Mics (SP-CMC-4) and also SP-SPSB-1 (Battery Module) The trouble is the more I read the more confused I become. I thought this is all I would need to record a rock concert I am going to in a couple of weeks time, but I have just read under the Newbie section that I may also need an analog-to-digital converter (ADC)

Do I really need this? Will my set up not work without it?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re:Getting More Confused !!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 01:03:43 PM »
You should be able to tape with those mics/batt box and the NJB3 using the analog line-in function.  You may want to read up a little more on this part, but it works.

The ADC everybody mentions is optional

terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Frankie Carroll

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 01:24:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies, I was starting to get a bit worried as I have spent nearly £400.00 in the last 2 weeks on this stuff and I think my wife would kill me if I spent anymore.

As far as upgrading goes, I have seen some posts about pre-amps. If I bought a pre-amp do I use it instead of the battery box or as well as the battery box.

I will mostly be recording loud rock concerts, if I started using a pre-amp would I notice much of an improvement in the sound quality of the final recording?    

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 04:41:29 PM »
with the stock CMC-4s you'd use the battery box with the preamp.  Just be careful when you add the preamp because you will be going from a line-in to a mic-in connection, which will affect the way the bass roll-off works.

Offline YJ2K

• Taperssection Newbie
    • YJ2K Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 06:00:25 PM »
I have the exact same mics and preamp that you have. I got my preamp with the (single stereo level control) and (gain selectable preamp) but (no bass rolloff). I'm not sure how the JB3 works since I have a Sharp MD. But if you plug your mics into the preamp and the preamp into the line in (not the mic in) you will get a solid recording. Just mind your levels. I taped Dream Theater a couple weeks ago and it came out fantastic! Well, what the MD didn't screw up anyway. =)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 06:03:20 PM »
shaun;
+t for the new rig.  step up to a DAT and you'll be set!!

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 05:17:59 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies, I was starting to get a bit worried as I have spent nearly £400.00 in the last 2 weeks on this stuff and I think my wife would kill me if I spent anymore.

As far as upgrading goes, I have seen some posts about pre-amps. If I bought a pre-amp do I use it instead of the battery box or as well as the battery box.

I will mostly be recording loud rock concerts, if I started using a pre-amp would I notice much of an improvement in the sound quality of the final recording?    

Hey Frankie, you in England too? Theres not too many of us!

I've been using almost the same setup as you have (substitute CMC4s with CMC2s), to stealth record rock gigs, without too many problems. I've thought about an external A>D, but decided against it at the moment as I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting.

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 06:16:10 AM »

my very first rig was AT831b > AT8351 battbox > Hosa xformer > D100.  it sounded ok/pretty good. to my surprise, i made some pretty good tapes for a newbie, but i noticed that the sound was a bit thin.

then i upgraded the AT831b > AT853a.  sounded better in the lower end, but noticed that it lacked the fullness in the sound.  

then i added an outboard preamp (MV-100) and phantom power.  it made a very large difference in the sound of my recordings.  really full, increased dynamics and great clarity.

in my experience, i would highly recommend an outboard pre.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Frankie Carroll

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »
Hi Humbug,

I am actually from N.Ireland.  I have a couple of your recordings 12/05/03 & 11/11/03 and I think they sound very good. I was only saying to somebody the other day how similar our set up was and I would be pleased if I could get my shows to sound as good as yours.

I am going to e-mail you with a few questions regarding the above shows as I would be interested in your settings etc..

Offline Frankie Carroll

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 04:37:57 PM »
I would just like to say a big thanks for all the advice I have received,  everybody seems to be so helpfull.

This site is a godsend for somebody like me who is new to taping. I have lear`nt so much already from reading all the different posts.

I will be recording my first show in about two weeks so no doubt I will be back with more questions.

Thanks everyone

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 04:55:59 PM »
good luck!
+

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com