Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Analouge Tape Transfer  (Read 3421 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Analouge Tape Transfer
« on: April 13, 2004, 10:35:08 AM »
Hello,
   I have a question about transfering my master analouge tapes to cd-r. I already know how to do it but on all my tapes they all have digital noise in the background and I want to get rid of it. I have a cassette deck that is from I think 1986 so its pretty old. ;D its a Kenwood KX-328. should I get a new one to get rid of the digital noise in the background? or maybe is it the cable becasue I also have a hum in the background noise too. I reall do not know so please help me! thanks

Ryan

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re:Analouge Tape Transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:10:17 PM »
if you didn't mind doing it post production there are hiss removers in most programs like soundforge and cool edit.

depeche mode rules!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:28:56 PM »
thanks for the reply. No I use goldwave and I use the hiss reducer but then when I do it afterwards the sound is worsened and the digital noise is worse and more noticeable. yes depeche mode is a good band.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 01:15:36 PM »
Hello,
   I have a question about transfering my master analouge tapes to cd-r. I already know how to do it but on all my tapes they all have digital noise in the background and I want to get rid of it. I have a cassette deck that is from I think 1986 so its pretty old. ;D its a Kenwood KX-328. should I get a new one to get rid of the digital noise in the background? or maybe is it the cable becasue I also have a hum in the background noise too. I reall do not know so please help me! thanks

Ryan

A new tape deck likely won't get rid of the digital noise in the background.  How do you know it's digital noise?  Your best bet is to prevent the noise from occurring in the first place, not remove it after the fact.  So, if it were me, I would follow these steps:

[1] identify the noise and its origin
[2] take reasonable means to prevent the noise, and
[3] consider noise reduction in the digital domain
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:28:09 PM »
what are you using on the digital side for your transfers (a/d converter, soundcard, etc)?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Depechemode1993

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 01:30:50 PM »
I am 100% positive its digital noise. cause when I play the cassette on my recorder its fine. I think it could be the chord. I do not even know what brand it is. it might be a speaker connector! I have no idea maybe I should buy one. :) and sometimes the transfer gets pops and cracks and I know its not in the recording.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 02:13:11 PM »
Just because the noise doesn't show up on your original recording but does appear on your final digital audio file doesn't necessarily mean the noise is a result of a digital artifact.  For example, you could pick up a ground hum in the analog realm which would ultimately reveal itself in the digital audio file, but it isn't a digital artifact.

At any rate, what is your full set of gear and how it's connected and configured?  Things like:

Analog recordings on what media
Recorded using what machine
Playback machine
What cables connecting playback to...
What soundcard / ADC
Recording with what software

The more details you can provide the easier it will be for us to attempt to help.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Depechemode1993

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 11:02:34 AM »
sorry for not going into depth with my transfering. what I got is my cassette tapes are on:
Maxell 120 IEC Type 1 Normal Bias
Sony Hi Fi 90 Type 1 Normal Bias.

I recorded with a Sony TCM-20DV. not very good but I used it when my MD was broken. the playback machine was that and my Sony Boombox.

for transfering the show into my harddrive I used my Kenwood Stereo Cassette Deck KX-328. with soft touch operation. Then I used an 1/8 male plug to go into the soudcard (Line In) and a 1/4 female connector to go into the Cassette deck and placed the male 1/8 plug into the 1/4. my soundcard is a Realtek AC97 Audio. I record with Goldwave's Newest version software. I hope this is more help to the people who are trying to help me. thanks everyone!

Ryan

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 11:16:48 AM »
are you sure your not plugging into the "mic in" on the soundcard?

why not use the RCA outs of the Kenwood deck?

the water's clean and innocent

Depechemode1993

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 12:44:12 PM »
are you sure your not plugging into the "mic in" on the soundcard?

why not use the RCA outs of the Kenwood deck?

do they have cables like that? where they have and rca out then on the other side a 1/8 male cable? I have never though of that?

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 01:41:27 PM »
I think you need a new soundcard.  that on-motherboard Realtek ac97 is the likely culprit.  are you using a laptop or desktop?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14

Depechemode1993

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 02:17:58 PM »
I think you need a new soundcard.  that on-motherboard Realtek ac97 is the likely culprit.  are you using a laptop or desktop?

desktop. I just use whatever I can forge man... if I need a new soundcard then I might think of getting one.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 02:34:44 PM »

desktop. I just use whatever I can forge man... if I need a new soundcard then I might think of getting one.

I hear ya.  Try everything else first - get whatever driver/codec updates are out there for the soundcard, try some different software (CDWave is cheap and is what I use for DAT>CD transfers, others include WaveLab, Sound Forge, Cool Edit, nTrack), try different cable from your tape>soundcard.  If nothing solves the digital noise, its probably the soundcard.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com