Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What mics to upgrade to??  (Read 4046 times)

Offline hhf32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
What mics to upgrade to??
« on: July 12, 2004, 06:53:37 PM »
I'm looking to upgrade my mics and wanted to get everyones opinion on what would be my best bet for the $400 range. I've been leaning toward some AKG 391 or 393's. I currently have Okatava Mc-012's>ua-5>JB3.

Thanks
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: What mics to upgrade to??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:09:30 PM »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 07:31:56 PM »
I would definitely try the AKG bluelines, which you already suggested.  Since they are a modular cap microphone, you can try all sorts of recording techniques.  They are a great deal and when you are ready to upgrade, they always seem to be easy to sell again! 
Other than that, you could investigate the ADK mics too.  lots of great things have been said about them and there are a lot of happy users on this board!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:43:56 PM »
i highly reccomend the studio projects c4 pair.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:46:10 PM »
what reasons are you looking to upgrade? what mics you want will depend on what you don't like about the octava's
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 08:52:13 PM »
The thing I'm looking to improve is the low end response. I want to get as true a representation of, what I'm actually hearing, as possible.

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 10:55:55 PM »
I was checking out some samples of the c4's and they sound nice. From what I can find for info it looks like the card cap is 40-20,000 response and the omni is 20-20,000, is that correct?? Just wondering because I'd like to get better low end then 40??

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 01:34:52 AM »
AT853 has 30-20,000 for the card caps

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 07:50:18 AM »
the bluelines are as good a bang for your buck type microphone as you are going to find...just my .02

Offline rmouk

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 01:45:05 PM »
I made the exact upgrade you're considering, MK-012s to AKG 393s, and I run the UA-5 as well, and I've been very pleased so far.  The 393s tighten up the bass significantly as compared to the Oktavas.  I can point you to some samples on etree if you're interested.

Bob

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 01:56:59 PM »
I've actually heard a few shows made with the 391's>ua-5>jb3 and liked the sound. If I could only afford one cap right now what should I get, the cards or hypers? I'd be mostly be using them from small clubs to theater sized venues and for the most part indoors.
  Thanks for all the input from everyone, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible and then go check out some shows made with my combo.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
had the oktavas about 3 weeks and ditched them for the akg 391s. much warmer and less muddy low end in my opinion. i personally hated the oktava cards from more than about 10-15 feet away. the hypers are pretty nice on the oktavas though. i was pleased with them the few times i ran them on loan. i'd try those out before upgrading the overall mics unless you just want to get new ones.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 02:06:38 PM »
either of those would be excellent choices, I have owned them both, the 393's will be the more utilitarian of the two and will, imho, be more easy to resell, I now own 480's which are much less foregiving and it is often that I wish for the simple and reliable 393's, hell I remember making outstanding recordings with them even outside and inside they will tend to filter out much of the chatter and crowd noice common with smaller venues, I think my old 393's are for sale right now in the yard sale, come to think of it some of my recordings with them are on archive.org, look and listen to Signal Path from 9-12-03 (inside) and 9-13-03 (outside), good examples

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 12:21:19 AM »
Thanks for the the link to the shows, I'll check them out. So far I'm leaning towards 393's. I need the more versitile cap cause I won't be able to afford another set anytime soon.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 01:02:51 PM »
the ck93 caps, alone, are very hard to find used, I don't recall ever seeing a used pair for sale

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com