Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is your opinon ? Swap Dat to JB3?  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
What is your opinon ? Swap Dat to JB3?
« on: July 23, 2004, 02:59:02 PM »
I know there are a million questions on JB3's right now but what I was curious about is for those who have switched from Dat to JB3 was it worth it overall? Do you have any regrets? I will probably have to sell my D8 to get one and I don't want to regret selling the D8 since I have had such good luck with it. Any thoughts?
                      Thanks
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What is your opinon ? Swap Dat to JB3?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 03:05:46 PM »
I switched & haven't looked back since.

I'll see about getting you the JB3 from the loner program so you can try it out before making the plunge.

Jeff
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 03:24:18 PM »
jeff, i have the loaner jb3 right now at my house.  its gonna be a bit before i can ship it, but ive got it.

personally, im of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it- if your dat works and serves you well, why not just run it into the ground?  get all the good work you can out of it then drop the money.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 03:26:45 PM »
I wish I'd held onto the D8 I had for backup when I first got my JB3 (December 2002) so much that I bought another D8 in October 2003 once I had the cash.  Of course, that deck died 2 months later and I'm running JB3 solo now.  I trust it about as far as I'd trust a DAT, but I'm anal retentive and like to have backups for my backup decks ;)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 03:52:36 PM »
I just made the switch too. Just got one and it is one cool little machine. For the price its unbeatable. No more tapes to transfer. Now I need to digi mod my UA5 to use the optical.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »
Wait I thought you could run optical into the UA5 without a mod ???
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 04:05:52 PM »
you need the digimod- you can do it yourself, or if you buy it from the oades they all come that way

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 04:11:48 PM »
So I need a mod if I am going to run optical? ??? I found this info in the JB3 FAQ
here http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=16338

Can I run a Nomad JB3 with the UA-5
Yes.  The UA-5s optical output feeds the Nomad JB3 well without problems.  In fact, it should feed any device which accepts an optical input.

Is it bit-perfect when fed a digital signal?  How do I feed the NJB3 a digital signal if my ADC outputs coax S/PDIF or AES/EBU?

Whether the NJB3 is bit-perfect depends on the device providing the digital signal, basically.  The Edirol (Roland) UA-5 works well and has a direct optical output.  Most other devices have a coax S/PDIF or AES/EBU output and require a digital format converter*.  The two Hosa digital format converters are popular and I've tested the ODL-312 as bit-accurate out of the V3 (and suspect it's bit-accurate out of most devices):  ODL-312 (AES/EBU <-> optical) and ODL-276 (coax S/PDIF <-> optical).  Users have experienced mixed results with other digital format converter boxes:  M-Audio CO2, M-Audio CO3, the ubiquitous "greybox".  Jamie Lutch has posted some testing results over on the NJB3Tapers Yahoo group Files section and I've tested the ODL-312 quite a bit.

So what is the reason for the digimod for optical? I understand the mod for a D8
                    Thanks
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 04:13:43 PM by Tye »

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 04:18:26 PM »
i think skalinder was assuming that you knew to have the digi-mod when using a jb3 ;)

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 04:27:15 PM »
i got a jb3 in june.   only had a chance to run it for a moe show and phish at alpine, however didn't have any problems.  i'm kinda stubborn and still run the dat too.   no problems with the jb3 at all though.   one of these days i'll stop using the dat or the dat will stop working (hope not)
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 04:32:36 PM »
Ok so now I understand a little more if the UA5 does not have a digimod the only way to run digital out is if it is hooked up to a pc right?! 
 Does anyone have the link to the do it yourself Mod?
  I did not get my UA5 from the Oades so what are my choices in getting it modified other than doing it myself?

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 04:32:48 PM »
I pretty much stopped using my DAT once I got the JB3, and have had no real problems with it, once I sorted out the Heat issue. I'll still probably keep my P1 around, but for now I run JB3 exclusively, and dig it. No media no media no media!

Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Brian

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 04:36:37 PM »
the DIY digi mod ua5 thread should be in the archival section.  there are links to sites with very helpful and detailed explanations with nice pics step by step.

edit: here's the link to the thread. it was on pg.2 of the archival forum :P http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=5209.0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 04:41:52 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 04:52:52 PM »
Thanks  S_TL-Taper  you beat me to it I just found it. Has anyone here done the mod themselves? How is it working for you?
 Edited for +T's for you help guys

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 05:16:18 PM »
no problem, backatcha :)  i'm not sure on who specifically but i remembered reading tons of posts of members successfully dgi-mod'ing their ua5s all the time back when it was first archived.  apparantly it's pretty easy as long as you have good soldering skills and a steady hand.... two things i don't quite possess which is why i made doug oade do all the work on my old one :P

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 05:17:27 PM »
I am going to mod mine today Tye. I will let you know how it goes. Looks fairly simple to me.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 05:24:24 PM »
Chris PM Sent ;D

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 03:21:23 PM »
Hey Tye --
I run a JB3, if you want to swing up to Alpine Meadows to borrow it and test it with your UA-5, just let me know.  I use it frequently, but I'm sure we can find a time that's good.
Actually, I'm very interested in trying/getting a UA-5.  I'd like to see how one uses it with a JB3.

Tradja in Tahoe
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2004, 04:41:52 PM »
I just bought a jb3 and am keeping my d8.  I plan to run the jb3 and only run the d8 as well if I deem it to be an *important* show.  I can't wait.  Goodbye 3 hour transfer times!
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com