Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver H320 review  (Read 2754 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
iRiver H320 review
« on: January 20, 2005, 03:41:28 PM »
This is for my wife (but I will probably use it too if it has a video player). I'm looking for an MP3 recorder with a built-in mic. Sound quality isn't an issue. We just need it to be able to record a 3 hour choir practice to one file and user interface must be idiot-proof.

I'm leaning toward the iRiver H320 but they're around $300 because of the other features like video.

Any suggestions of other products that can do the bare minimum? Archos? Phillips?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:27:13 AM by gewwang »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Need advice on MP3 player/recorder with built-in mic
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:09:59 PM »
for the wife huh? I thought you were finally looking to upgrade :P

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline gewwang

If I had my way, I was going to get the Edirol R1 and test out the a/d on it. However, I didn't want to spend $400+ on something that might not end up replacing the dat.

So I went to Best Buy and picked up the iRiver H320 on clearance for $266. In addition to the built-in mic for my original purpose, it's also got an FM tuner so at least I'll have use for that over the iPod every now and then. Also has 20GB HD and can work like the photo ipod with the 2" color screen and USB2.0.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/h320.aspx

From searching the forum, it looks like there's supposed to be a firmware upgrade that supports .wav recording. Has anyone found this yet?

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
I have not seen the 320 yet, but really love the build of my 120 and all other iriver products I have held...

some sort of alloy case that seems alot tougher then most mp3 players

the internal mic on my 120 picks up the noise of the hard drive whirring/saving a nd have read that this is an issue with other mps player w/built in mics
?>FR2LE

Offline gewwang

the internal mic on my 120 picks up the noise of the hard drive whirring/saving a nd have read that this is an issue with other mps player w/built in mics

We'll be testing this out over the weekend. Fortunately, Best Buy has a 30-day return policy and said no restocking fee on mp3 players when I checked last night.

Offline gewwang

After trying this out for a few weeks, it's going back to Best Buy. My wife taped her choir rehearsal with the internal mic and it's probably on par with the much cheaper units only with 1GB storage instead of the H320's 20GB. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to try 4022>sax>h320 to test the analog in's.

My main issues were that on various websites, I had read that there was video support, .wav support and mac os x support. However, they required firmware updates that were only valid for irivers bought in europe or japan. I'm sure the firmware update would work on my unit, but it would invalidate the warranty.

The H320 came with a software disk that basically only needed to be run on Win ME and 98 SE. Their answer for music mgmt software is to connect the unit via USB 2.0 and just drag+drop files via file manager to your h320 connected as a hard drive. It would be usable but definitely pretty lazy on iRiver's part not to have their own application. From what I read online, they do provide such support for their other products (iFP's and H10's) but not for the H300 series.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com