Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: are Senn 421's generally considered bright mics?  (Read 4676 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
are Senn 421's generally considered bright mics?
« on: January 17, 2005, 01:23:37 PM »
Been listening to GD 4/11/82 Nassau: Jim Wise - (9th row - center) Senn 421's > Sony TC D5, sounds very clear and detailed but there is very little low end on the tape, I have to playback with a lot of bass boost for this one to sound satisfying to my ears.

This is one of the first tapes I have heard on these mics, I was just wondering if the bright sound is considered to be a general characteristic of the 421's? 

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Tim

Re: are Senn 421's generally considered bright mics?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:52:12 PM »
I'm listening to Jim's 82 red rocks fob tapes and feel the same way....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
they are dynamic mics, and it would take an incredibly loud show to really be entirely fulfilling.
My JGB 421>D5 master from Irvine Meadows in '84 has a nice warm feeling to John Kahns bass, which was out of the norm for JGB. I was always left with an "I wish i could have heard more of Kahns bass" in most of the live performance that I saw.

add to that the frequency limitations of cassette tape...

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »
Sennheiser 421's are great sound reinforcement mics in my opinion. Not neccesarily good for audience recordings though. Although there are many Senn 421 Grateful Dead tapes out there from the 1980's. The best ones are FOB.

I even made some SM57 tapes in the 1980's...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 02:35:40 PM »
I always loved the 441's when I was doing sound reinforcement.... what a wonderful mic that was. Never used one of the 421's though....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 02:42:13 PM »
421 is an omni? I always thought that it was directional too

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 02:57:23 PM »
gotcha...

Offline Chuck

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »
I always loved the 441's when I was doing sound reinforcement.... what a wonderful mic that was. Never used one of the 421's though....

That's opposite of my experience. I know some guys used to use the 441's on the lead vocalist, and ocassionally on a drum or two and sometimes on brass instuments. I used to see way more 421's being used. Back in the 1980's Dan Healy used the 421's on everything for the Dead, including vocals for a while.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Chuck

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 03:08:32 PM »
and you can use them (421's) to pound in tent stakes in the camping area, and still be fine for recording later that evening.

Yeah...
They can definetely take a good wack from a drum stick and not even flinch. A mere SM57 will be in pieces, crying to be put out of it's misery and the 421 will just laugh and keep sending out a good signal.  ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 03:10:47 PM »
Chuck, my experiences were from about 200-2002.... the 441's sounded really nice on a bunch of different drums and bass instruments, never tried them on vocals though

BobW

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 10:30:04 PM »
they are dynamic mics, and it would take an incredibly loud show to really be entirely fulfilling.
My JGB 421>D5 master from Irvine Meadows in '84 has a nice warm feeling to John Kahns bass, which was out of the norm for JGB. I was always left with an "I wish i could have heard more of Kahns bass" in most of the live performance that I saw.

Just finished watching Grateful Dawg (agin)...  waxing nostalgic.... and wishing I could hear John's Russian Lullaby solo again.......
 Wow, does Sennheiser make mics, too ?    ;D

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 07:04:20 PM »
I was listening to a copy of this on the way to work this AM and thought there was a fair amount of bass for being 421's...crisp highs w/ some low end too...nice job Moke!
normally the 421's are a little weak on low end compaired to what we have for mics today.
 so being in the 9th row did help 'em a bit  ;)

Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline coop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • been there, taped it.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 10:11:21 PM »
The 421's are a LD card. They also have a 5 position bass rolloff on the body next to the xlr connector. When i was using them to tape dead shows, i rolled them off 1 click from the linear position.  tapes still had plenty of low end, even with cassette.  You could also run them in the pouring rain with no problems other than funny looks from people. I also prefer them over the 441.
        Coop
bicycle more, drive less, breathe easier.
http://www.gimmecoffee.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com