Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: future of dat  (Read 14390 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
future of dat
« on: January 31, 2005, 09:27:55 PM »
is anyone worried about DATs dying out.  Digital is the big push, but how much staying power do DATs have?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: future of dat
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 09:32:12 PM »
is anyone worried about DATs dying out. Digital is the big push, but how much staying power do DATs have?

a couple of years, tops... dat has been dying a slow death for a few years now. sony no longer makes the m1 or the r500 (or is the r300?). I'm not sure tascam is making new decks. I know awhile back (18 months?) Tascam had a press release that they were no longer making transports as when the current inventory was gone, that was it.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 09:49:19 PM »
I know awhile back (18 months?) Tascam had a press release that they were no longer making transports as when the current inventory was gone, that was it.

The problem is the company that made the transports for the units stopped. At the time when Tascam had that announcement, they estimated they had about 3-5 years worth of inventory, that included repair parts if I remember correctly.

Even DAT tape has been harder to get. Real DAT tape (not DDS) has been limited to a couple vendors now, and my guess is that some point this will only leave Maxell or Sony. DDS isn't is much better shape really. However, all things considered, DAT still has some life, but I'm in the limited life category. That is, it isn't on life support yet, but it certainly has seen better days.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 10:13:57 PM »
are dds tapes really getting more difficult?  In the past few months I have been in telco providers (I work at Nortel) backup closets and they are still running primarily tape backups...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 10:50:10 PM »
there is only one place I can find DAT in rochester, audio grade HHB. It's a dying format, I am in the process now of re-transfering all my DAT's onto DVD and making copies to insure their survival
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 10:21:50 AM »
are dds tapes really getting more difficult?  In the past few months I have been in telco providers (I work at Nortel) backup closets and they are still running primarily tape backups...

The shorter lengths are. 60 and 90 meters are not the standard any longer, and they will stop being made at some point. I think that may be another 5-10 years though, I think there's life left in a lot of the older gear.

Wayne

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 11:14:03 AM »
I think Dat can be around as long as you want it.  There is still a core group out there who still love reel-to-reel.  It just means that the Dat hobby will become increasingly expensive, and numbers will dwindle to just hardcore enthusiasts.

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 01:53:22 PM »
I think Dat can be around as long as you want it. There is still a core group out there who still love reel-to-reel. It just means that the Dat hobby will become increasingly expensive, and numbers will dwindle to just hardcore enthusiasts.

I see your point but I think you are missing the fact that manufacturers are no longer making the parts. In a few years you won't be able to have a new transport put into your old deck. Besides the tape manufacturers are going to stop producing the tape. Quantegy just closed, the reel to reel guys are going to be feeling that in a few years, at most.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 02:07:13 PM »
Besides the tape manufacturers are going to stop producing the tape. Quantegy just closed, the reel to reel guys are going to be feeling that in a few years, at most.

They are feeling it NOW. S.P.A.R.S. Just posted a list where you can commit to purchasing so much tape. Their hope is that they can get Quantegy to open up the production line again to make a certain amount of tape. Apparently certain lengths/widths of Reel tape are already starting to become hard to find.

Wayne

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 02:15:04 PM »
Emtec has already been bought.

Analog tape will always be around.......the real question is, at what cost?

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 02:18:42 PM »
do you think DAT tape will always be around? I certainly don't.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 02:32:17 PM »
Emtec has already been bought.

Analog tape will always be around.......the real question is, at what cost?

There are a few companies who will be manufacturing analog tape.  2" & 1" in particular, which is what the shortage is of.  1/4" and 1/2" has been/will always be available.  It's the larger formats that are becoming difficult to find, but that will all end soon.  As soon as I am allowed to disclose details about the companies involved in the deal, I will, but as of right now, it's hush hush.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Brian

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 02:37:11 PM »
do you think DAT tape will always be around?

nope!  the digital world, obviously, is moving towards hard disk recording.  sooner or later, because of technology advances in teh digital recording world, the demand for analog reels will exceed the demand for DAT and DDS tapes. when that happens, DAT and DDS tapes will cease to be produced. you said yourself that certain companies have already ended production or know when there ending production lines on DAT related products.  For the rest of time there will always be someone or some company with the ability and will to restore/repair/modify ATR's and another company will always have analog tape available because there will ALWAYS be a demand for analog sound.  With digital, why record 16bits/44.1 on a tape when you can record 24/88.2-192 on an HD inside a better constructed machine?  DAT demand is already going down because HD recording is becoming cheaper.  The cheaper it gets the more people will start forgetting about DAT.

all my guestimations but it seems like a logical path to me.

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 02:38:42 PM »
Brian - that's exactly what I was thinking...

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 02:38:52 PM »
heath,

are these companies different than any of the ones who have sent out survey's regarding this subject?

i'm pretty sure EMTEC was bought back by the company that was(still is?) B.A.S.F.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com