Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: future of dat  (Read 14389 times)

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: future of dat
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 11:42:41 PM »
I just put in 4 matched Svetlana el34 tubes in my amp tonight 8)

whore  ;D ;)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 11:47:44 PM »
oh man I bet that sounds REAL nice!  I need to start sluttin' it up on the playback end.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 11:52:00 PM »
they need a looong time to burn in, about 100 hours, but the change from the stock Chinese tubes was pretty noticeable right away. My Bel Canto DAC 2 showed up today too. Sara has been gone all night so I'm getting in some serious listening time tonight.

Heath - you know it!

Brian - it's unbelievable how much more rewarding the music becomes.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline fasteddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Bob Snodgrass.... Living Legend
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2005, 10:49:59 AM »
I heard on NPR that quantegy (sp?) might have a buyer for it's factory and they may start production again

Offline ice8888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2005, 01:20:18 PM »
i'll have to agree with everyone else that dat is a dying format... which i think kinda sucks.  i love having a hard copy after i tape a show.  even if it's only a backup copy for the lappy i still like having it.  just my opinion.

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2005, 02:32:29 PM »
i'll have to agree with everyone else that dat is a dying format... which i think kinda sucks.  i love having a hard copy after i tape a show.  even if it's only a backup copy for the lappy i still like having it.  just my opinion.

completely understandable.  hard copies are ALWAYS nice. 

The Upstream Mend

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2005, 03:31:46 PM »
remember it all boils down to "how it sounds".  Analog Tape REcording is still alive because MANY engineers and producers think it sounds better. 

As 24-bit HD recording starts becoming the norm, I think even some of those engineers and producers may start to rethink their Analog "sounds" better. Analog sounds better than DAT, I won't argue that point, in fact that's why I vinyl records STILL sell better than CDs in some countries (the US is NOT one of them). However, as we start bridging that 24/48-192 sampling rates we're starting to hear things that you couldn't hear on DAT and even things that you couldn't hear on tape.

I still think it's sad that we're seeing an end to DAT, if for no other reason than portability. Once that tape is stored in it's shell, as long as you don't submerge it, or beat the hell out of it (or of course run it over a high powered magnet), you're show is preserved. As much as I LOVE my DEVA, until I put that show on DVD-RAM I don't have the security (false or otherwise) of it not going away because the hard drive crashes.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2005, 04:10:53 PM »
Once that tape is stored in it's shell, as long as you don't submerge it, or beat the hell out of it (or of course run it over a high powered magnet), you're show is preserved.

while i agree that it is sad to see dat going away, you have to keep in mind that NO tape media is to be considered "permanent".   DAT tape, just like analog tape, can suffer from sss (sticky shed syndrome) and will deteriorate over time, even in controlled storage environments.  We are actually working on a large preservation job with one of the major labels to do preservation work on their dats, and get the information off the tapes before it's too late.   

The Upstream Mend

Offline Brian

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2005, 04:16:03 PM »
without a doubt, I believe that if you do a digital recording right, it will sound just as good, if not better to some ears(because of S/N ratios i suppose) than analog.  I'm certainly not an analog purest in any sense of the form.  Hell i'm only 22 years old so technically I can't be...... didn't grow up in that period ;) However there are some things, IMHO, that will never sound as good recorded digitally as it would recorded on analog tape.  Like an entire drum kit for example.  

However, as we start bridging that 24/48-192 sampling rates we're starting to hear things that you couldn't hear on DAT and even things that you couldn't hear on tape.

Wayne

i just can't quite agree with you there.  even at 24bit/192kHz, it's still a "repesentation" of the analog signals.  if you hear anything on that digital recording that's not on the tape(using an ATR with an extended frequency response), then that is noise inherant from the digital recording as far as I'm concerned.

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »
Like an entire drum kit for example. 

or a bass guitar tracked at +6 @ 250nWb/m      ;D

The Upstream Mend

Offline Brian

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

or a bass guitar tracked at +6 @ 250nWb/m ;D

oh yeah....just a tad of saturation 8)

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2005, 04:36:37 PM »

some time you need to find an excuse to come to PGH (concert or something) and take a trip up to our facility.  i think you'd get a kick out of it.

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2005, 05:13:07 PM »

some time you need to find an excuse to come to PGH (concert or something) and take a trip up to our facility. i think you'd get a kick out of it.

I know he would
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2005, 06:45:24 PM »
i'd love to be able to check out the studio sometime!

excuse = internship? ;D I need to intern with somebody in order to graduate and I am still looking around. i know we went through this before but i wasn't able to come out for the time frame you were seeking one; not too mention my resume wasn't too expansive at the time.  let me know and we can PM each other details.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2005, 11:42:04 AM »
I disagree. The dat market is driven by server backups, not by audio use. 4MM dds tapes are still cheaper than dlt tapes, i think. DDS2 tapes may get harder to find, but generally speaking the 4mm format will remain for a while (IMO).
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com