Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722s on the WAY!!!  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
Re: 722s on the WAY!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2005, 10:43:48 AM »
This was one reason I pulled my order for the 744T. In some private emails with one of the SD engineers, he mentioned using the 442, which is an awesome unit, but since I had a 4 channel eng mixer already. He mentioned specifically some of the benefits of the 442, which I couldn't argue with, but for just a bit over the price of a new 744 & 442 I could pickup a full 8 channel recorder and dump the mixer. For me that was pretty important. I haven't had much luck with the wireless unit I borrowed from Zaxcom with the Deva IV using the built-in delay. Part of that I think is simply operator issues. I'm hoping to give it another test before this weekend when I have to press it into use for real. Then next week I have to ship the wireless unit off back to Zaxcom, so I won't get much chance to play with it after that. Although I'm already thinking I might want to pick one up for future use.

Wayne

I was under the impression that the Deva had a built in delay?  Maybe it's in the V and not the IV?  I would be plenty surprised if it doesn't.

I've had really good experiences with the Lectro units(400), but they don't have a built in delay (except for the natural one inherent with D>A, A>D in transmission and reception) so they may be useless to you if the Deva doesn't have one onboard.  I don't even think the 700 series have delays in them - you would think it would be easy to incorporate it into these receivers.

I understand your thought process in going with the Deva instead of the 442/744 combo, given that you already have a 4ch mixer.  If that were the case, I would consider the same.  But I like the diversity of having the mixer separated from the recorder, moreso for reasons of rental fees when on hire for a shoot than for simplicity.

I guess we each choose or own evil.
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 11:06:15 AM »

I was under the impression that the Deva had a built in delay?  Maybe it's in the V and not the IV?  I would be plenty surprised if it doesn't.

I've had really good experiences with the Lectro units(400), but they don't have a built in delay (except for the natural one inherent with D>A, A>D in transmission and reception) so they may be useless to you if the Deva doesn't have one onboard.

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. Yes, the Deva IV and V both have built-in delay, not the wireless unit. However, I couldn't seem to get the sync right with the loaner unit I picked up from Zaxcom. I've been thinking about picking up the Lectro unit because I can get one used for about $400, which I would be willing to spend for a single mono unit. The Zaxcom unit I have is in the 1K range and definately over my budget. ;-)

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »
Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. Yes, the Deva IV and V both have built-in delay, not the wireless unit. However, I couldn't seem to get the sync right with the loaner unit I picked up from Zaxcom. I've been thinking about picking up the Lectro unit because I can get one used for about $400, which I would be willing to spend for a single mono unit. The Zaxcom unit I have is in the 1K range and definately over my budget. ;-)

Wayne

Uh, where are you getting a used Lectro for $400 - I assume the 400 series since we were talking digital/hybrids?!   Is this for receiver/transmitter?  Would love to get in on that if you don't decide to.  These run close to $2000 new for TX/RX...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »
mine arrives tonight.  weird that i paid for ups 3 day and it says that it's out for delivery (shipped last night)

i'll be posting PLENTY of pictures, including internal ones when i swap the hard drive. 

i kind of want to take it to a show tongiht, but i'll have to wait until the weekend

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2005, 02:48:28 PM »
mine arrives tonight.  weird that i paid for ups 3 day and it says that it's out for delivery (shipped last night)

i'll be posting PLENTY of pictures, including internal ones when i swap the hard drive. 

i kind of want to take it to a show tongiht, but i'll have to wait until the weekend

Can you swap the hard drives on the fly, or is it a major ordeal?

Also, trust me you'll want to get to know your gear first. If it's anything like the DEVA, you'll want to take it out to a few shows you don't give a crap about just so you know what your limits are with the unit.

Wayne

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2005, 02:52:32 PM »
i figured out how to use the 744 at the mule show in sept, so i thinki already know how to use this thing

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
i figured out how to use the 744 at the mule show in sept, so i thinki already know how to use this thing

Knowing how to use it and knowing the limits are two very different things. I always hate the first few times I have gear because I never get good results. It's always a trial and error thing until I know what the limits of the thing are.

Wayne

Offline scb

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
i figure for a 1.5 hour show i would have been ok.  but now i have a few days to play...

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »
Nice!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2005, 04:29:07 PM »
delivered.  can't wait to get home.  only 28 minutes until 5pm!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2005, 04:34:45 PM »
yeah, it's not like you're getting anything done in the next half hour anyways.

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 04:35:12 PM »
I would have taken the whole day off,
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2005, 04:39:48 PM »

Oh like you work anyway  :P

Anybody who "works" for a Gov. agency ain't really working.  ;D

But, I agree. I would find some way to skate out a bit early to retrieve your new child.

Wayne

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2005, 04:43:15 PM »

Oh like you work anyway  :P

Anybody who "works" for a Gov. agency ain't really working.  ;D

But, I agree. I would find some way to skate out a bit early to retrieve your new child.

Wayne

oh yea forgot about that. 

surprised today isn't some sort of holiday.   ;D
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2005, 06:24:13 PM »
oh yea forgot about that. 

surprised today isn't some sort of holiday.   ;D

Just wait a couple days.  I'm sure there will be another one. 

I got the call today, mine is in transit. ;-)  I'm surely looking forward to Sunday night now.

Now I have to find something new to bitch about.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com