Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Considering an upgrade  (Read 2637 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Considering an upgrade
« on: March 24, 2005, 09:30:41 PM »
Hi all!

Continuing the addiction... ;)

I've read through a lot of old posts and am getting some ideas, but I'd love some suggestions specifically for my sitch, too.  You guys are the best!

I currently run a pair of AT831s into either my iRiver or JB3 (+SP pre for the JB3), but I'm considering now upgrading the mics; i'm recording opera singing usually from the house (2000+ seat theater; all acoustic - NO live mic'ing), but sometimes also in rehearsal rooms of varying sizes.   For close mic-ing SPL levels are significant, but acoustic music from teh house generally doesn't slam the mics so hard to be a problem (hence why I'm sticking w/plug in power).

In a perfect world, I'd love a set ot DPA 4060s, but I just don't have that kind of money. What would be a reasonable next step up from where I am?   I like the AT831s very much more than anything else I tried in the sub-$200 price range, but I'm thinking I can probably do better.   My main "complaint" about the 831s is that they tend to emphasise the speaking-voice frequency, which isn't the range I sing in meaning I don't think I get the best of my own sound (which is, of course, th ereason I'm recording!).  Also, although I like the way the cards minimise the bad aspect of too much acoustic, it's awkward to make sure they're pointing the right direction when stealthing, particularly since I usually hand off my gear to somebody else to record from the audience for me, wo I'm thinking I should maybe get omnis.

So, any recommendations on how to spend my money? I'm open to suggestions. Small and easily stealthed, no extra mods/power required other than what I already have, and a noticeable improvement over my existing sound without breaking the bank - maybe something in the <300ish range?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 09:32:34 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: Considering an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:47:50 AM »
853 w/ omni cap, and you should be good to go
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:39:53 PM »
How would those compare with, say, the At 933 which are suggested to compare with the DPAs? Just curious.  They're a bit out of my price range, but if they genuinely can approach the DPA quality, I might be willing to try and bend the budget....

DPA4060
R09

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »
How would those compare with, say, the At 933 which are suggested to compare with the DPAs? Just curious.  They're a bit out of my price range, but if they genuinely can approach the DPA quality, I might be willing to try and bend the budget....

I run AT933's w/ AT853 caps and am very pleased. It's been my stealth rig for 5-6 years and I am now selling my "big rig" and just going with the AT's for all applications. Good luck!
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 11:04:21 PM »

I run AT933's w/ AT853 caps and am very pleased. It's been my stealth rig for 5-6 years and I am now selling my "big rig" and just going with the AT's for all applications. Good luck!

Again, eeejit question.

Since it seems you're saying you're running both 853 AND 933's simultaneously, I'm now abundantly confused.  Can you backtrack and explain what the caps are and how this all works? I thought that the 933s and 853s were totally separate beasts, so now I'm completely at sea!

Thanks!
DPA4060
R09

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 09:36:07 AM »

Again, eeejit question.

Since it seems you're saying you're running both 853 AND 933's simultaneously, I'm now abundantly confused.  Can you backtrack and explain what the caps are and how this all works? I thought that the 933s and 853s were totally separate beasts, so now I'm completely at sea!

Thanks!

I bought my mics a few years ago from Sound Professionals and got this set-up. I hope this helps! :)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 09:59:01 AM »
Great picture - explains how  THAT works perfectly!

But it begs the question... why?  What is the advantage of that setup over  the 933s just as they are?

I guess that means I need to know more about the diffs between 933 and 853, too :)

DPA4060
R09

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 10:01:15 AM »
The best advice I can give is to search around at http://www.soundprofessionals.com From what I understand the 853 caps are "bigger and better" than the 933 caps. I dunno for sure though... I just work here. ;)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 01:24:36 PM »
Thanks! I will :)

Also, does anybody have any comments on the  AT899?  Do they REALLY rival the 4060s? Much cheaper, and as I keep reading here, it seems that in the microphone world ya get what ya pay for....  Are they decent?

Just wondering.  Tx!
DPA4060
R09

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 10:07:27 PM »
Also, does anybody have any comments on the  AT899?  Do they REALLY rival the 4060s?

never heard 'em, but i seriously doubt it! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com