Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rectifiers  (Read 1789 times)

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Rectifiers
« on: April 15, 2005, 07:58:53 PM »
I guess the electrical engineer in me has come to question what a rectifier upgrade might be?  I run a push / pull integated pre, and would like to know the signifigance of the rectifier?  Thanks.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

BobW

Re: Rectifiers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 10:07:53 PM »
I'd like to hear the answers to this, too.
I'm not convinced that I can hear the difference between a pair of 1N4007s (solid state diodes) and a GZ34 or a 5AR4, once they've been filtered.

I know that I can't hear the differences in power cords, if they are of adequate gauge.
Five miles of wet, arcing cable between my house and the distibution station, crappy nailed-up Romex in my crawlspace, and then the last three feet is supposed to have "dramatic sonic impact" ?     I just don't know if I can support that.

John Atkinson had a few interesting things to say about audio voodoo and the placebo effect in this month's Stereophile.
He stated that he thinks the Machina Dynamica "quantum physics chip" that "permanently alters" a CD is hokum.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=37629.0

I think that he's joining the Dark Side       ;D

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 11:29:07 PM »
Really?  When changing power chords on various components I can always hear increased dynamics, bigger soundstage, as well as a bigger sense of depth and dynamics.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 12:05:12 AM »
I know that I can't hear the differences in power cords, if they are of adequate gauge.
Five miles of wet, arcing cable between my house and the distibution station, crappy nailed-up Romex in my crawlspace, and then the last three feet is supposed to have "dramatic sonic impact" ?     I just don't know if I can support that.

After doing some AB comparisons I tend to agree that in my system upgraded power cords made little if any difference.  I think the money would have been better spend on  some more tubes or upgraded interconnects.

BobW

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »
I can't see the science in a three foot power cord change when seen from the larger view of power distibution.
I do keep an open mind, and I admit that I can't hear what you hear (and vice-versa).

I think the point is that it's good to be skeptical.

This hobby is all about fun, enjoy it the way you like !     :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com