Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

wiring an AES digi cable, help?

(1/4) > >>

JasonSobel:
 :help:

a little while back, there was a great post about how to solder the XLR connections for mic cables, along with a link to an article, giving detailed info.  So I went ahead and made myself a set of right-angle XLR mic cables to run into my V3.  While I was ordering them, I thought to myself, "it would be nice to have a right-angle AES cable, to come out of the V3 as well."  So I ordered a 1 ft long canare 110 ohm digi cable (the DA202, if that matters), and a few extra XLR connectors, so I think I have everything, I just need to know how to wire it up.

There are two wires going up the middle, a white and a red, and then it's shielded.

I assume the shield get's hooked up to pin 1, ground.  and then does it matter which one (the red or white) goes to pin 2 and 3, as long as I'm consistent?  I would think not, but I figured I'd ask here first to see if someone has done it before maybe point something out that isn't so obvious that I might miss if I just go ahead and do it on my own.  any tips?  suggestions?  am I way off base with the wiring?

thanks for any and all help.
Jason

jjjewett:
AES = 110 Ohm
SPDIF = 75 Ohm

You need a impedence transformer.  Hosa makes one.

http://dv411.com/neutaestran.html

you can get them for cheaper but this is the first link that I found.  Also Ive had success with just wiring an xlr3>rca cable using 75 ohm coax cable.  But when I used a d10ProII, I always used the transformer.

Just make sure you get the 110>75 not the 75>110 one.

John

Brian Skalinder:
Technically, you should use a 110 > 75 ohm impedance transformer (I think that's what it's called) to run AES > coax.  I've been meaning to do this, but haven't yet - right now I'm just running straight AES 110ohm > coax into my deck.

I checked out the pins on my cable, and they're wired as follows:

XLR 1 (shield) > (no RCA connection!)
XLR 2 (+) > RCA tip
XLR 3 (-) > RCA ring

Not sure if no shield pinout on the RCA is an issue or not.  Doesn't seem to have caused me any problems - I've been using this output for all my recordings lately.  I do, in fact, plan on adding the pulse transformer, just haven't gotten to it yet.

FWIW...

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: m0k3 on August 21, 2003, 12:43:36 AM ---So "technically", a right angle cable should be built to get away from the back of the preamp, then > Hosa 110 / 75 ohm transformer, then > rca coax

OK....... got it I think.....

--- End quote ---

Yeah.  Only all the impedance transformers I've seen are XLR > BNC, so you'd go RA XLR > cable > XLR 110 / 75ohm BNC > BNC / cable / RCA

Or some such.  What a PITA.

zhianosatch:
sounds like a bitch and a half

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version