Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which MP3 player to buy? Please help.  (Read 3187 times)

Offline drdan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which MP3 player to buy? Please help.
« on: May 23, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forurm.

I have been recording my band practices using an audio techica AT822 stereo mic and a sony mini disc recorder for a couple years.
It has worked fabulously for me.  But I cannot quickly download the music to my computer and burn it to disc.

I would like to find a 20-40gig MP recorder to replace my mini-disc and use it with my stereo mic.  I am hoping for equal or better sound quality than I am getting now with my Sony MD.

The iriver H340 is looking like a contender and so is the Nomad jukebox 3.  Also Samsung has a model that looks good on paper.

Any suggestions would be much apreciated.

THanks,

Dan

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Which MP3 player to buy? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:25:44 PM »
nomad jukebox 3
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 02:38:00 PM »
nomad jukebox 3

I think the JB3 is a great device, but I have my doubts as to how long this device is going to be around. We're already seeing reports of people who send in their JB3 devices and Creative is replacing them with "equivalent" devices. Of course these don't have the diigital inputs, so to the taping crowd they are less useful. Batteries can't be ordered any longer... It is starting to look like the Sony D8/D7 syndrome all over again, just with a different vendor.

Depending on the timeframe, it might be worthwhile to wait and see what the market looks like in 6 months. There are a lot of promising looking devices getting ready to ship.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »
'tis true.

If you need one instantly, and can't wait, NJB3.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline drdan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 03:23:58 PM »
Hey thanks for the input so far.  Please keep it coming.  I can wait 6 months so I am interested to hear more about what looks promising.

The Iriver M340 looks promising to me but I have read on this forum that there are some downsides.  Any Iriver people out there please chime in.

Dan

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 11:34:04 AM »
We're already seeing reports of people who send in their JB3 devices and Creative is replacing them with "equivalent" devices.

Oh my god...I would be so pissed!   >:(
I recently bought a new battery from them.  I'm glad I forked out the dough cuz it does seem like a dying age.  What a shame...
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:29:24 PM »
I have the iRiver H140.  I record with it.

Pros:  It's tiny, fits in your pocket.  It records to wav, and then is hard drive, plug and play, no sound card needed.  It's a nifty little music player too, with fm radio, .ogg support, all the shit you get from an iPod.

Cons:  74 minute file limit on recording, you gotta do a "flip".  Regular sample drops that bother some people, personally my ear can't hear it, but some have reported an audible "click" at regular intervals.  No recording levels while you are recording, so you'd have to get a separate meter to monitor your levels on the fly.

I think the JB3 is still the best option for a HDD recorder, but I do just fine with the iRiver.

Peace.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 10:06:14 AM »
I have the iRiver H140.

This has been discontinued just like the JB3.  It's getting hard to find this now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com