Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Difference between the M1 and D100.  (Read 14243 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Difference between the M1 and D100.
« on: June 11, 2005, 09:14:40 PM »
so people have been telling me there is not difference in performance with the M1 and D100. They are basically the same units am I correct? the only difference I have seen is the weight. I think the M1 is like 10 oz. and the D100 is 12 oz. maybe someone can help a brotha out. I am going to get one from pro dig. soon.

BobW

Re: Difference between the M1 and D100.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 10:06:33 PM »
SCMS and color 
PCM-M1 wins, black and SCMS-free
Not much else from what I've been told.
More experienced users here may have more for you.

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:02:51 AM »
Don't forget the D100 has the little remote.  AFAIK no difference in the sound/quality/reliability except the SCMS, which is probably not an issue for what most of us do.  And they're both black if you use the pleather case :)  Go for the cheaper of the two, I'd say.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:39:17 AM »
so people have been telling me there is not difference in performance with the M1 and D100. They are basically the same units am I correct? the only difference I have seen is the weight. I think the M1 is like 10 oz. and the D100 is 12 oz. maybe someone can help a brotha out. I am going to get one from pro dig. soon.

Exact same machines except, as noted by others, for SCMS and color, and the remote that comes with the D100 (but works with the M1 too).  I used them interchangeably for five years until I got my R1.  Same settings on the D100 and M1 for mics gives same results, same battery life, menus, audio out.  I think the manuals are pretty much the same as well (except for SCMS defeating in the M1).

Jeff

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 09:05:24 AM »
the remote is key for stealthing...if you are going to be doing any stealthing go with the D100

Depechemode1993

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 09:13:43 AM »
what is SCMS? can I buy the remote anywhere else?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »
the remotes used to be able to be bought new for $75...dont believe they sell new anymore....

BobW

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 09:27:02 AM »
what is SCMS? can I buy the remote anywhere else?
Question 1)
Once upon a time, in a galaxy, far, far away ........

the powers that be (Sony?) wanted copyright management.
Basically so CDs couldn't be copied (HAH!!!!)
SCMS was a way of bit-robbing for protection allowing only one copy to be made before an error would be declared.
Modern soundcards ignore, defeat, or pass SCMS, effectively defeating it.

The only concern, if there be one, is that the robbed bits might affect sound quality.
In short, they do not in any practical sense. 

Question 2)
Ebay or the Yardsale on TS.com, or Oade Board, and such places where depraved recordists hang.

Good luck !

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 09:30:10 AM »
good luck finding the remote there...the only reason I got any $$ for my D100 as dat decks are getting towards the bottom of the chain in terms of dollars they can get on the used market is because of that remote

Depechemode1993

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 03:00:48 PM »
so SCMS won't do anything to my tapes? all it is is piracy blocking?

Depechemode1993

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 09:57:44 PM »
i always preferred the m1, black is sexy

black is also stealthy!  ;)

+T to all. thanks for the help.

pro dig. is about to love me with all the $$ I am going to spend.

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 10:02:04 PM »
The biggest difference to me, besides the remote control being included with the D100, is the fact that the D100 is considered a consumer machine (follows SCMS) by Sony, and is therefore eligible for the flat rate service fee, which is less than $200 for any problem whatsoever.  The M1 is considered a professional machine (SCMS switchable) and can NOT be serviced under the flat rate agreement; you may pay $400 for new heads for example.   Caveat: This is what I have been told, I have not used the Sony service for either machine.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 12:32:25 AM »
The biggest difference to me, besides the remote control being included with the D100, is the fact that the D100 is considered a consumer machine (follows SCMS) by Sony, and is therefore eligible for the flat rate service fee, which is less than $200 for any problem whatsoever.  The M1 is considered a professional machine (SCMS switchable) and can NOT be serviced under the flat rate agreement; you may pay $400 for new heads for example.   Caveat: This is what I have been told, I have not used the Sony service for either machine.

Prodigital has serviced my M1 and D100, same prices and same parts.  Does Sony service these machines anymore at all?  Though I haven't had to replace heads, there is a plastic gear on the transport that cracks after a while and needs to be replaced, never runs $200 even with cleaning and alignment.

Jeff

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 05:32:46 AM »
Never runs $200!?
Tell that to Sony Netherlands.
They don't recognsie their own M1 as a 'pro' item.
They are unable to bring teh item to the 'pro' repair department themselves (next door!!).
They want to charge more than 300 euro's (!) for that very repair.

(sent it to american digital..)

Ray76

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 06:28:49 AM »

I dont know what you are using it for, but since DAT is a dying animal, why dont you get something like the jb3 or r1 etc??HD and solid state/dsd recorders are the way to go now.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com