Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cooling off the jb3  (Read 6346 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
cooling off the jb3
« on: July 09, 2005, 01:15:17 AM »
any tips to keep a jb3 cool while stealthing?

at the digable planets show my jb3 was steaming... thenagain it was high 80's which a billion humidy that night too...

i had the jb3 in a cd pouch... obviously i was trying to keep it out of sight... is there like a gel pad or heat sink that can be used in these conditions... DIY stuff is cool in my book... bring it... i would imagine that an ice pack is not a solution due to the moisture (and possibly too cold)... heat sink sounds like the right path... or one of those laptop cool pads...

sorry for the rambling alcohol post  :cheers:
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: cooling off the jb3
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:32:56 PM »

at the digable planets show my jb3 was steaming... thenagain it was high 80's which a billion humidy that night too...

i had the jb3 in a cd pouch... obviously i was trying to keep it out of sight... is there like a gel pad or heat sink that can be used in these conditions... DIY stuff is cool in my book... bring it... i would imagine that an ice pack is not a solution due to the moisture (and possibly too cold)... heat sink sounds like the right path... or one of those laptop cool pads...

carry a bowl of water to dip it in occasionally
nothin like a cool bath.

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »
nothin like a cool bath.

;D +T
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 09:50:23 PM »
I know that when I play soccer, my team always carries around ice packs that you have to hit really hard and then they get cold.  They have like salts in it or something, and as I can remember they really didn't get that cold.  Or you could try something like this...

http://shopping.msn.com/eshopframe.aspx?merchId=3136&catId=1749&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cb2.com%2fjump.aspx%3fbid%3d67bid%26t%3dshop%26a%3d17%26p%3d67%26c%3d570%26f%3d241

Good luck +T
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 07:07:19 AM »
Not sure if you want to go this far but I've got a nice stealth setup that keeps my JB3, UA-5 and DPA battery box very cool.   ;D

I built a cage out of that white vinyl coated wire shelving you can find at Home Depot which houses the above 3 pieces plus an 80mm computer case fan to blow directly onto the jb3.  With everything in the cage I don't need to worry about buttons getting accidently pushed, or wires getting knocked loose since it's all protected.   :laugh:

I then bought a cheap backpack and cut out a hole at the bottom of the pack for an 80mm computer fan used to exhuast the heat out.  It also had a couple of pockets on the one side so I cut a hole for a 60mm intake fan on the inside of one of the pockets so that it was hidden by the pocket.  Then I cut the bottom of the pocket off to allow air to get inside and I also unzip the zipper when stealthing to allow the air in.  I run the intake and exhaust fans off one 9.6v 1600mah RC batteries and hid it in the 2nd side pocket.  I've cut holes on the inside of the pockets so that I don't run any of these wires on the outside of the bag.  :)

This worked very well last week when it was extremely hot for Jazzfest and all my components were very cool.  Before I made this bag I couldn't stealth with my JB3 because it would always overheat, now I don't need to worry anymore.   :coolguy:

I'd snap some pictures but I don't own camara, sorry.   :-[
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
too bad you don't have a camera, I'd love to see pics of that setup.  I've run into some heat issues with my jb3 when in tight spaces, and did lose part of a bela fleck show due to it shutting down.  Thank god it saved the set up until that point at least...
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 01:13:50 PM »
too bad you don't have a camera, I'd love to see pics of that setup.  I've run into some heat issues with my jb3 when in tight spaces, and did lose part of a bela fleck show due to it shutting down.  Thank god it saved the set up until that point at least...

I'll see about trying to get someone over who has a digital camara.  It may be a few days though because I'm moving in 3 days time and it's very hectic around here at the moment.
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 04:04:10 PM »
burnt, your system sounds sweet... unfortunately i am looking for something a little more lo-fi to accomplish this.

+t (in hopes to see some pics someday)

bt & dime

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 04:37:31 PM »
simply keeping the battery cover off helps me alot, and if possible only using only one battery to let the other hole act as a vent.
mics & cameras

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
sanjay
thanks for all the great tips here and at ufck
i got a jb3 on the way now
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 06:37:26 PM »
sanjay
thanks for all the great tips here and at ufck
i got a jb3 on the way now

sweet dude, enjoy
mics & cameras

Offline WolfmanDMB

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 10:55:06 PM »
simply keeping the battery cover off helps me alot, and if possible only using only one battery to let the other hole act as a vent.

:coolguy:

carry a couple of chemical "ice" packs and put them in a ziplock bag and then rubberband them to the unit.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 03:03:02 AM by WolfmanDMB »
video rig: light > canon zr70mc > minidv

audio rig: sp c4's > ps-2 > ad-20 > jb3

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 08:01:08 PM »

thanks sanjay... that may be a nice fix for short stealthing operations...

i like the chemical ice pack route... but is that going to be too cold?

+t fellas

bt & dime

Offline Morphius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 11:11:52 PM »
It your worried about it being too cold just put a washcloth or a dish towel or some rag between the ice pack and the jb3.  Rubber band them all together and you ought to be set.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 02:32:29 AM »
An interesting side note--I just did a gig in Phoenix (the high that day was 108).  I was actually outside recording at 6 in the evening for a couple hours (still blazin hot).  Stuffed inside my bag, no ventilation, my gear was all quite warm to the touch.  No shutdown problems with the JB3. 

I think different JB3's handle heat differently--not sure why they would be different, but I've read varying results on this forum.

Get to know YOUR JB3.

Food for thought.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 10:55:06 AM »
An interesting side note--I just did a gig in Phoenix (the high that day was 108).  I was actually outside recording at 6 in the evening for a couple hours (still blazin hot).  Stuffed inside my bag, no ventilation, my gear was all quite warm to the touch.  No shutdown problems with the JB3. 

I think different JB3's handle heat differently--not sure why they would be different, but I've read varying results on this forum.

Get to know YOUR JB3.

Food for thought.

I've noticed my refurb is more tempermentla in the heat than my new JB3.  Also, I found the turning the JB3 face down helps with heat problems...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 04:25:27 PM »
yeah, i havent had a problem (knock wood) with my jb3's (both new), i was just looking for a preventative that was lo-pro.  as hot as it was that night stealthing the digable planets, i was probably more concerned then i needed to be... then again, i was DRIPPING sweat at 11:30 at night and doing a lot less work then my lil ol jb3 (pet pet).

i think my main concern was a festie type stealth occasion outdoors in the florida heat... probably best to bring both of the jb3's that way in case one goes wonky i can plug in the other one.

bt & dime

ac

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
nothin like a cool bath.

Nice ;D

I think Doug Oade is working on a bag with a pool in side. Life Guards and everything.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 04:04:31 PM »
I've noticed my refurb is more tempermentla in the heat than my new JB3.  Also, I found the turning the JB3 face down helps with heat problems...

Terry

Another option is to take the colored face plate/trim off. You now have seven ventilation holes. Depending if you keep the JB3 face up or face down, those seven holes work as either outlets for the heat or inlets for fresh air. Combine this with leaving the battery compartment cover off and you have flow through ventilation. I've never had heat related problems that I know of and that includes recording outdoors in the sun for over six hours with the temps hovering around triple digits.

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 01:38:20 PM »

How about sticking it into a cooler with some 'blue ice' wrapped in a towel?  So it's not cold but also doesn't get hot.

Mine crashed at Greyfox bluegrass festival this year, it was really f'in hot out.  Just paying careful attention to keeping the sun off it seemed to prevent it though.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com